Kylie Minogue’s agent on Friday played down a report the Australian pop star had been given the “all clear” after undergoing treatment for breast cancer, but said there had been no recurrence of the disease.
Britain’s Sun tabloid quoted a source close to the singer as saying the 37-year-old had returned to Australia to see her family and celebrate the good news.
After undergoing successful breast cancer surgery last May at a Melbourne hospital, Minogue has been on a course of chemotherapy in Paris, where her French actor boyfriend Olivier Martinez has a home.
The Sun said her chemotherapy treatment had ended on Dec. 18 and that she would start daily radiation treatment next week.
“Fortunately we are still able to say we have received no news of a recurrence of the cancer,” Minogue’s publicist said in a brief statement released by her record label EMI.
“However, at this point in time Kylie’s treatments are continuing.”
An EMI spokesman declined to say where Minogue was or whether she was about to start radiation treatment.
“Kylie remains keen to return to work and in particular to re-schedule the Showgirl tour of Australia,” the statement added. It was just before the Australian leg of the Showgirl world tour that the cancer was discovered.
Minogue is worth about $46 million, according to a 2004 list of rich, young Australians compiled by BRW magazine.
News of her breast cancer and subsequent treatment has featured prominently in tabloids in Britain, where she is hugely popular, and in her native Australia.
Minogue had her first big break with a part in soap opera “Neighbours,” before moving to music.