- 2 pounds very fresh tuna steaks, 1-inch thick
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, plus extra for brushing
- 2 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, plus extra for sprinkling
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus extra for sprinkling
- Grated zest of 2 limes
- 6 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 teaspoon wasabi powder
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 10 dashes Tabasco sauce
- 1/4 cup minced scallions, white and green parts (2 scallions)
- 2 firm, ripe Haas avocados, medium and diced
- 1/4 cup small — diced red onion
DIRECTIONS Heat a charcoal grill with hot coals. Brush the grill with oil. Brush both sides of the tuna with olive oil and sprinkle generously with salt and pepper. Cook the tuna over the hot coals for about 2 1/2 minutes on each side. Remove to a plate. The tuna will be cooked on the outside and raw inside. Allow to cool slightly and cut it into medium-diced pieces.
In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lime zest, lime juice, wasabi powder, soy sauce, Tabasco, 2 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Add the sauce to the tuna, add the soy sauce, avocados, and red onion, and mix well. The sauce will “cook” the raw parts of the tuna after it sits for a few minutes. Serve cold or at room temperature.