- 2 pounds fresh salmon filets, skin on
- Good olive oil for grilling
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup small-diced celery (3 stalks)
- 1/2 cup small-diced red onion (1 small onion)
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh dill
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained
- 2 tablespoons raspberry vinegar
- 2 tablespoons good olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Prepare the grill with hot coals.
Cut the salmon filets crosswise into 4-inch-wide slices. Rub them with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Brush the cooking surface with oil to prevent the fish from sticking. Cook the filets on the grill for 5 to 7 minutes on each side until they are rare. Be sure they are still rare on the inside. Remove to a plate, wrap with plastic and chill in the refrigerator until cold and very firm.
When the fillets are cold, remove any skin that hasn’t come off during grilling. Break the filets into very large flakes and put them into a bowl, adding any juice that has collected at the bottom of the plate.
Add the celery, red onions, dill, capers, raspberry vinegar, olive oil salt, and pepper to taste. Mix well and serve cold or at room temperature.