The new fall fashions are made for adults. This summer the look was pretty, feminine and flirty, but it's time for a break from casual clothing. Designers are taking a risk; instead of chasing the young, they're looking at mature women. It's all about sophistication — clothes geared toward real women, not 14-year-olds, with fashions that are elegant and pretty. Hal Rubenstein of In Style magazine was invited to appear on "Today" to share the skinny on what's new for fall. Here's his sneak preview:
After 9/11, everything was black. Now we see color, though the look is not bohemian or for the beach. These are new, sophisticated styles.
Tulip skirt silhouette
This is the new fall skirt. It can either be tulip-shaped, egg-shaped, bell-shaped or pleated, but it's all about the hips. This silhouette is best worn at a mid-knee length and with heels.
- Cynthia Steffe floral jacquard tulip skirt, $220; available at Neiman Marcus
- Cynthia Steffe embellished top, $305; available at Neiman Marcus
- Stuart Weitzman black lace shoes, $280; available at Stuart Weitzman stores
- Deal: Lee Angel bangle bracelets, $75 for set of 5
Boxy jacket and jeans
For fall, jackets will be the most important look in your closet. Here's one with a military influence.
- Daslu jacket in cotton with gold-tone buttons, $470; at Neiman Marcus
- CK 39 jeans, $165; at department stores
- Tibi lace top, $360
- Aldo brown strappy heels, $80; at Aldo shoe stores
We haven't worn suits in a while, but they're back. The new suit is for the woman with a shape, and it's belted to show off those curves. This tailored suit is well-priced for a classic that won't go out of style.
- Phillip Lim wool-blend skirt suit: jacket $481; skirt, $271; at select Barney's NY stores
- Aldo black heels, $80; available at Aldo shoe stores
- Deal: Fossil thin black belt, $28; available at Fossil
Jersey fabrics are back. Jersey is great because it gives — it slides over imperfections and packs beautifully. We chose a long-sleeved dress in a fuchsia cotton jersey.
- Sportmax jersey dress, $550; by special order at Max Mara, 866-629-6272
- Stuart Weitzman purple slingback shoes, $265; available at Macy's
Feminine blouses are big this fall. This gold blouse is very feminine and romantic, but don't pair it with a feminine skirt. Pair it with man-tailored pants.
- Phillip Lim romantic blouse, $311; at Traffic, 310-659-3438
- Theory pants, $230; at department stores
- Deal: Aldo heel sandals, $79; at Aldo shoe stores
Pleats are back. This gorgeous pleated red dress from Calvin Klein will make any woman look good. Pleats done well are flattering; they can hide a lot and accent your shape. Red is a big color for fall, but not bright red. Rather, go for a deep ruby, a garnet or other jewel tones. For fall, bright colors are out.
- Calvin Klein red cocktail dress, $200; call 888-222-1213
- Costanca Basto Ferrari red leather shoes, $195; at Constanca Basto (212)645-3233
- Deal: Banana Republic clutch, $58; www.bananarepublic.com