"Handbags are the new shoes," according to Lucky magazine editor Allyson Waterman. The right one can totally transform an outfit. Bags are also a great way for women to infuse their wardrobe with just a hint of a runway trend. Waterman visited “Today” to highlight the hot handbag trends for fall. Here's more on the bags discussed on the show:
TweedTweed can be a challenging fabric to wear because it's not very forgiving. Carrying a tweed bag is a great way to introduce just a touch of it to your wardrobe without worrying about how it looks on your hips. Tweed shouldn't be fussy. A simple bag with minimal but lush details is the best option. Choose something in a rich, autumnal color with subtle leather trim.
- Green bag with black piping. Ann Taylor Loft, $59
- Red suede bag with brown leather details. Fossil, $78
- Tweed bag with contrasting blue velvet bow. J. Crew, $148
Studs give just a touch of rough and tumble to otherwise polished, pretty handbags. The studded bags this season have clusters of studs, or perfectly placed accents. Avoid all over studs, it can be too overwhelming on a bag and look more like you're carrying a hardware store than a chic accessory.
- Patterned studded bag. Payless, $19
- Brick colored bag with trailing fringe. Rampage, $58
- Purple suede bag with gold leather handles. Michael Michael Kors, $298
A clutch is one bag that every woman should have in her wardrobe. A huge variety of shapes and sizes — oversize can be really fun — in all kinds of fabrics are available this season. Don't be afraid of bright colored clutches, velvets for day, skins and embellishments. The streamlined silhouette makes it a natural for playing with details.
- Sequin clutch with metal frame and clasp. Express, $48
- Leather "Eve" bag with ruffle. Hobo International, $9
- Brocade hard frame clutch. Inge Christopher, $139
UtilityUtility bags are truly the most useful style. Lucky's favorites have the ideal ratio of practical to fun. Look for one that works for you — a color you will use all the time, handles that are the length you covet, pockets in the right places and details you can't live without. This is one bag you will wind up using every day, so it's worth the investment — just make sure you love it!
- Oversized utility bag with pockets and white contrast stitching. Aldo, $50
- Flight bag in retro blue. Nine West, $69
- White bag with gold hardware. Bandolino, $119
Clean lines are key with snakeskin bags, but the most important thing to remember is to go faux. You don't have to break the bank to get the luxurious look of a real skin. Manufacturers at all price points are making great facsimiles of real snake at a fraction of the price. Try something in a bold color but keep the shape simple and elegant. Let the decadent, exotic material speak for itself.
- Neutral bag with silver hardware. Express, $58
- Purple bag with long handles. Nine West, $75
- Green embossed leather bag. Anne Klein, $260