- One 3 to 3 1/2-pound chicken, quartered
- 1 1/2 pounds yellow-fleshed or red-skinned fingerling potatoes such as Russian Bananas, Ruby Crescents, French Fingerlings or Rattes, scrubbed
- 1/2 pound haricots verts, or thin green beans
- 3 tablespoons Champagne or white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
DIRECTIONS Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the chicken quarters. Reduce the heat to medium, cover, and cook for 20 minutes, or until the chicken is tender. Remove from the pot with two slotted spoons or a longhandled strainer. Set aside to cool, but keep the water boiling.
Add the potatoes to the pot and cook until tender when pierced with a fork, about 22 minutes. Remove from the water with a slotted spoon or strainer; set aside to cool slightly, but keep the water boiling.
Add the haricots verts to the pot. Blanch for 2 minutes, then drain.
When the chicken is cool enough to handle, remove the skin, take the meat off the bones, and slice it into bite-sized chunks. Place in a large bowl. Slice the potatoes into 1 -inch chunks; cut the beans into 1-inch strips. Add to the chicken in the bowl; gently toss to combine.
In a small bowl, whisk the vinegar and mustard until smooth. Whisk in the tarragon, salt, and pepper. Continue whisking while you drizzle in the olive oil in a slow, steady stream. Whisk until the oil emulsifies and the dressing turns creamy, about a minute. Pour the dressing over the chicken, potatoes, and beans. Toss to coat, taking care not to break up the potatoes. Serve immediately.
Add any one or two of the following to the salad:2 celery stalks, chopped 2 shallots, minced 1 small red bell pepper, cored, seeded and diced 1 1/2 cups halved green grapes 1 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered 1 cup fresh corn kernels (about 1 large ear) or 1 cup frozen kernels, thawed 1 cup diced fresh pineapple 1/2 cup chopped dried apricots 1/2 cup chopped toasted pecans 1/2 cup dried cranberries 1/2 cup pitted black olives, roughly chopped 1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted 1/2 cup slivered sun-dried tomatoes 1/2 cup toasted pine nuts