Actress Lindsay Lohan pleaded not guilty on Wednesday to grand theft involving a $2,500 necklace, in another twist to the troubled Hollywood star's life. Following are some key facts about the 24-year-old, her career and her battles with drug and alcohol addiction.
* Born in New York City on July 2, 1986 Lohan started modeling at age three. Her parents divorced in 2007. She made her feature film debut at age 11 in 1998's "The Parent Trap" playing a pair of twin girls who scheme to reunite their estranged parents.
* Made more than a dozen movies including "Freaky Friday," "Mean Girls," "Bobby" and "I Know Who Killed Me." At age 17, Lohan became the youngest host of the MTV Movie Awards.
* Won 16 industry awards, including a Screen Actors Guild ensemble cast trophy for "Bobby," a 1999 Young Artist award, two MTV Movie awards and three 2007 worst actress Razzies.
* 2007 saw Lohan arrested twice for driving and drug offenses, and she entered rehab three times, saying she was addicted to alcohol and drugs. Sentenced to one day in jail but spent only 84 minutes behind bars. Also placed on three years probation, later extended by a year.
* Lohan missed a court appearance in May of 2010, claiming she had lost her passport while on a trip to the Cannes film festival. She was ordered to wear an alcohol monitoring ankle bracelet and submit to random weekly drug and alcohol tests.
* Sentenced in July 2010 to 90 days in jail for violating her probation by missing court-ordered alcohol education classes. Served 13 days before she was released due to jail overcrowding. Spent another 22 days in a court-ordered drug and alcohol rehab program.
* In September 2010, Lohan admitted in a Twitter message she failed a random, court-ordered drug test. Said: "Substance abuse is a disease, which unfortunately doesn't go away overnight. I am working hard to overcome it and am taking positive steps forward every day."
* A judge found Lohan violated terms of her probation by failing the drug test and ordered her sent to jail. She served only 15 hours.
* On September 28, Lohan voluntarily entered rehab.
* Less than a month later, Lohan avoided jail for her probation violation when a Beverly Hills Superior Court judge ordered the actress to instead return to rehab until January.
* While in rehab, police investigated Lohan over a late-night confrontation between her and a staff member.
* February 9, 2011, prosecutors charge Lohan with the grand theft over a $2,500 necklace that was allegedly taken from a Los Angeles area jewelry store.