"The Dark Knight Rises" lost one of its own last month.
A male extra died last month during the filming of a hectic crowd sequence for the much-anticipated sequel, Warner Bros. confirmed Thursday.
The man, whose identity has not been released, had not returned from a break during rehearsal and was later found unconscious. He was rushed to the hospital where he was pronounced dead of an apparent heart attack.
"The studio can confirm that a male extra passed away while on a break during an off-set crowd rehearsal for a sequence with several hundred extras...in early November," a rep for Warner Bros. told the New York Post. "Production fully cooperated with the authorities' investigation, which established that he died of natural causes."
Neither Christian Bale nor any other member of the principal cast were on the set at the time, according to the studio.
"We are aware of the death of a background actor during production of this picture and have been told that the actor died of a heart attack. The actor in question was not working under a Screen Actors Guild contract," SAG spokeswoman Pamela Greenwalt said in a statement.