IE 11 is not supported. For an optimal experience visit our site on another browser.

Dog in recovery after devouring 3-inch knife

A mischievous bull mastiff in Massachusetts is recovering after having swallowed a whole wedge of cheese, along with the 3-inch knife that was with it.
/ Source: WHDH-TV

A 118-pound bull mastiff from Roslindale had to have a knife removed from her stomach.

The dog, named Bean, swallowed a three-inch knife and a wedge of cheese.

"She ate a whole wheel of cheese. The plastic that it was wrapped in, she ate everything. It was about a pound of cheese," said, Sean Berte, Bean's owner. "I looked for [the knife] in the couch and underneath the couch, and underneath the rugs, but I knew she had eaten it."

Doctors at Angell Animal Medical Center had to perform surgery to remove the knife.

“When Bean was presented, we took radio graphs and confirmed that yes indeed there was a knife there,” said Dr. Michael Pavletic, director of surgery at Angell Memorial Hospital. “And based on its size we had to remove it surgically.”

This is not the first time the doctors have seen something like this.

“We see a lot of foreign bodies and some of them are seasonal, for instance during the summer, during cookouts, we see a lot of corn cobs, peach pits, even teriyaki sticks what are used for barbequing,” said Pavletic. “But we’ve removed anything from socks, undergarments, towels, parts of the rug.”

"She's eaten everything. Anything she can get her hands on she'll eat. But the knife is what kind of really put the fear in me," said Berte.

As for Bean, she is fine and at home recovering.