The Los Angeles County District Attorney’s office is disinclined to charge Lindsay Lohan with three drug-related felonies, a decision that could spare the troubled actress from a prison sentence, celebrity news outlet TMZ.com reported on Tuesday.
The charges are connected with Lohan’s two recent arrests for drunken driving, first in May when she crashed her car on Beverly Hills, and then in July when she was involved in a late-night car chase in Santa Monica.
TMZ, citing unidentified law enforcement sources, said the 21-year-old actress would likely face misdemeanor drunken-driving charges for both incidents. If found guilty of both, she would serve a minimum of four days in jail, TMZ.com said.
Legal experts have said Lohan could face up to three years behind bars if confronted with the full weight of the law.
Asked about the TMZ.com report, district attorney spokeswoman Sandi Gibbons said the office has not yet received the Santa Monica case and the Beverly Hills case remains under review.
“A public discussion of potential charges prior to a case being filed would be inappropriate and potentially unethical,” she said.
Gibbons also denied TMZ.com’s report that charges could be filed on Wednesday.
After the Beverly Hills incident, cocaine was found in Lohan’s car. After the Santa Monica chase, she was charged with driving under the influence of alcohol, cocaine possession, bringing a controlled substance into custody and driving on a suspended license.
Lohan, who has done two rehab stints this year, has seen her promising film career plummet in recent years. Last month, she starred as stripper abducted by a sadistic killer in the box office bomb “I Know Who Killed Me.”