Many people have a go-to song for every occasion, be it happy, sad or something between. And thanks to a little bit of a correlation study by the folks at relationship-status-obsessed Facebook, we now actually know which songs many tend to play as they begin — or end — a romance.
Jonathan Chang of Facebook's data team explains that the folks at the social network analyzed the songs U.S.-based Facebook users played on Spotify as they changed their relationship status fields recently. The data team discovered that songs such as Jason Derulo's "Don't Wanna Go Home" and Bruno Mars' "Just the Way You Are" were frequently played by those who were making a new relationship Facebook official, while Adele's "Rolling in the Deep" and Drake's "Crew Love" were commonly played by those in the middle of a break-up.
The catch — there had to be one, of course — is that Facebook's data relies on the moments when relationship status fields were changed on the social network. These moments don't necessarily occur right when a relationship starts or ends. Despite that caveat, it's still reasonably fair to assume that people are thinking about the relationship while changing that portion of their profile, and therefore are likely to be playing tunes which match their mood.
So with that in mind, here's the full listing of the top songs played by the happy lovebirds:
Songs people listen to when entering into a relationship:
- "Don't Wanna Go Home" by Jason Derulo
- "Love On Top" by Beyoncé
- "How to Love" by Lil Wayne
- "Just The Way You Are" by Bruno Mars
- "Good Feeling" by Flo Rida
- "It Girl" by Jason Derulo
- "Stereo Hearts" by Gym Class Heroes featuring Adam Levine
- "Criminal" by Britney Spears
- "No Sleep" by Wiz Khalifa
- "Free Fallin'" by John Mayer
And here's how the break-up songs broke down:
Songs listened by people after ending a relationship:
- "The Cave" by Mumford and Sons
- "Crew Love" by Drake
- "All of the Lights" by Kanye West
- "Rolling in the Deep" by Adele
- "Take Care" by Drake
- "It Will Rain" by Bruno Mars
- "We Found Love" by Rihanna & Calvin Harris
- "Call It What You Want" by Foster the People
- "Love You Like a Love Song" by Selena Gomez and the Scene
- "Without You" by David Guetta featuring Usher
To make things easier for those who are going through either of the landmark relationship moments, Chang has taken the time to create two Spotify playlists with the songs listed above — one for those who are starting a relationship and one for those who are ending a romance.
- Over a third of Facebook's users claim to be single
- How a typo led to a marriage
- IceBreak is like couples therapy in an app
Want more tech news, silly puns, or amusing links? You'll get plenty of all three if you keep up with Rosa Golijan, the writer of this post, by following her on Twitter, subscribing to her Facebook posts, or circling her on Google+.