IE 11 is not supported. For an optimal experience visit our site on another browser.

Is your home prepared for a carbon monoxide leak? Here's what you need to know

Every year, thousands seek medical care for carbon monoxide poisoning. Here's info on how to keep your family safe from this silent killer.
/ Source: TODAY

Every year, thousands of people seek medical care for carbon monoxide poisoning and, sadly, an average of 170 people die from it. Since carbon monoxide is often produced by faulty and imprudent use of gas appliances, it is often preventable. The following information from Erlend Bolle, CTO of Airthings, producers of technology that evaluates air quality, and the CDC and Consumer Product Safety Commission will help keep you and your family safe from this silent killer.

What is carbon monoxide?

  • Carbon monoxide (CO), is an odorless, colorless gas that’s emitted from incomplete combustion processes.

Where is CO produced in the home?

  • Faulty gas appliances like furnaces, water heaters, dryers, stoves, gas space heaters and fireplaces.
  • Other causes are burning charcoal indoors, and indoor use of portable gas camp stoves, generators or gas heaters meant for outdoor use only.
  • Another source of CO is cars left running in attached, closed garages.
  • Note: Electrical stoves, water heaters, toasters and heaters do not produce CO.

What are symptoms of CO poisoning?

  • Initially, low to moderate CO poisoning produces flu-like symptoms, but without the fever. These include headache, fatigue, shortness of breath, dizziness and nausea.
  • High level CO poisoning produces progressively more severe symptoms: mental confusion, vomiting, loss of muscular coordination, loss of consciousness and even death.

In light of the recent number of natural disasters in the country, more people are using generators as a temporary source of electricity. It is critical to note that running generators indoors or near an enclosed space is especially dangerous because it produces such fast, high levels of CO that victims may immediately experience severe symptoms without first experiencing milder ones.

RELATED: Newer homes and furniture burn faster, giving you less time to escape a fire

How can CO poisoning be prevented?

The short answer? Use CO alarms.

  • Before choosing an off-brand, make sure the carbon monoxide alarm meets the requirements of the current UL 2034 safety standard.
  • Check or replace your device’s batteries at least twice a year and replace it every five years.
  • Install the alarm on any level of the house that has fuel-burning appliances. Bedrooms, or hallways between bedrooms, should also have alarms so that those sleeping are sure to be awakened.

RELATED: Carbon monoxide kills family of 8

Additional preventative measures

Here are additional preventative measures from the Consumer Product Safety Commission:

  • Keep an eye out if your pilot light is frequently going out, your gas burners turn an odd color, or you see an abnormal amount of soot on fuel-burning appliances or dew on hard surfaces. These could indicate incomplete combustion.
  • Make sure all gas appliances are vented properly by facing their horizontal vent pipes upwards as they go outdoors.
  • Never use gas appliances such as ranges, ovens or clothes dryers to heat your home.
  • Never operate unvented fuel-burning appliances in any room where people are sleeping.
  • Have chimneys and flues professionally cleaned and inspected every year.
  • Never patch a vent pipe yourself.
  • Do not burn charcoal or portable gas camp stoves inside a home, garage, vehicle or tent unless it is specifically designed for use in enclosed areas and provides instructions for safe use.
  • Never leave a car running in a closed, attached garage.
  • Have the heating system professionally inspected and serviced every year.
  • Never operate a portable generator or any other gas engine-powered tool in or near an enclosed space like a garage, house or other building. Even with open door and windows, CO can be trapped and build to deadly levels.
  • Do not cover the bottom of natural gas or propane ovens with aluminum foil. Doing so blocks the combustion air flow through the appliance and can produce CO.
  • During home renovations, ensure that appliance vents and chimneys are not blocked by tarps or debris. Make sure appliances are in proper working order when renovations are complete.

RELATED: A smart checklist for homeowners about to leave for summer vacation

What should I do when the CO alarm goes off?

  • Get yourself and all other occupants out of the house immediately.
  • Call 9-1-1 from outside the house.
  • Stay out of the house until emergency services say it’s okay to re-enter.
  • If the source of the CO is identified by emergency services, do not use that item until it’s been checked out by a service professional.
  • Should the alarm sound again within 24 hours, repeat the above steps. Have all gas-burning appliances checked by a qualified professional and make necessary repairs.