Get the latest from TODAY
We know, we know. We've been there. Fitted sheets intimidate us, too.
But get that wadded-up bundle of fabric out of the back of your linen closet, because there's a super easy way to get those picture-perfect, enviable, wrinkle-free folded sheets of your dreams. Meaghan Murphy of Good Housekeeping joined TODAY Tuesday to show Kathie Lee and Hoda a few genius tricks. Plus, she also quickly demoed a hack for speedier duvet cover.
How to fold a fitted sheet
- First, wash and dry the sheets. You'll want to fold them hot out of the dryer in order to minimize wrinkles.
- Time to "inside-it-out." Put your hands in the corners of the long side of the sheet on the inner side of the sheet.
- Arm workout time! Take the right corner over to the left and flip it over.
- Switch hands so that you're holding those two corners with your right hand once again. Follow the line of the elastic. Ultimately, you'll wind up where you started, with hands in each corner. Hold your arm out and try to keep things taut to ensure that everything's in the right place.
- Do it again! Take the right corner, and flip it over the left.
- Find a flat surface. You'll find that you've made a nice rectangle! Flatten it out. There's a C-curve with the elastic, but you don't have to worry about that.
- Fold the long side over to the center (not all the way to the other side!), then the next long side over to the center. When both sides meet, it's time to fold the shorter ends of your sheet over on top of one another (first the left third, then the right third). You're done!
How to stuff your duvet cover
- Lay your duvet down on your bed, and put your cover on top of it, inside out. The bottom of the cover (the part that will end up at the foot of the bed) should be up on the headboard side at this point.
- Consider purchasing a set of "duvet donuts." These allow you to find and grip the corners easily and keep the duvet from slipping around within the cover. Fasten these to each corner, securing the cover to the duvet.
- Then reach your arm through for the corners at the foot of the bed and begin the process of pulling the entire cover and duvet until the cover is inside out with the duvet inside of it.
- You're done!