Get the latest from TODAY
Color is inspiration. It's a feeling. It's a mood. For Jackie Jordan, it's her job. As the Director of Color Marketing for Sherwin-Williams®, she lives every day through a wide color palette. That's why she went to the Michigan home of Debbie Richmond, winner for TODAY's Make Room for Color contest.
Transforming any room with color is easy using Jordan’s six simple steps:
1. Choose an inspiration, and take a deep dive. Which appeals to you - the color or the feel? Inspiration can be a picture, a memory, or really anything! Debbie's inspiration was a picture she took of a beautiful Michigan sunset.
2. Find the right color palette. Narrow your selection down to a color family which captures the essence of your inspiration. For Debbie, the color palette from her inspiration included oranges, purples, and neutrals.
3. Accessorize. Begin with your bedding, and work your way from there. Lamps, frames, closet handles, and fans can all contribute to your room's transformation.
4. Pick the paint and get to work! Jackie chose Sherwin-Williams Emerald® paint because of its five outstanding qualities.
- Paint and primer in one
- Advanced stain blocking technology
- Exceptional hide
- Resistance to water spotting
- Scrub resistant
5. Keep what you love. You may have pieces you just can't part with, but be selective! If it's not an essential - toss it out.
6. Accent the room. Take a step back - is there anything to add to your new room? Always do one last pass before you finish your transformation.
Check out the before and after of Jordan’s makeover.
Want to learn more about finding the right color palette? Try using the free color selection tools at Sherwin-Williams.com.