Get the latest from TODAY
Torn between moving to a new home and renovating what you currently have? Hilary Farr and David Visentin from HGTV’s "Love It or List It" visited TODAY Monday to share advice on sprucing up your space or preparing to sell all together.
The top 3 renovations if you’re thinking about staying in your current home:
1. Improve the kitchen with an open concept layout, Hilary suggests. It will allow guests to move freely from your living room to the kitchen.
2. Take Hilary's advice and create a master bathroom oasis. Everyone should have an amazing bathroom — at least one.
3. If there’s a space in your house that is currently unfinished, finish it! Apply sheet rock to basement or attic walls. It’s only bonus square footage at that point!
Ready to move? Boost your sales in 3 easy steps
1. Clean up clutter. It will add instant value to your home, David said. Go room by room and clear out items that are no longer of any use to you. Don’t forget the garage, basement and small closets! Check all the spaces that a potential buyer may view.
2. Spruce up the kitchen! David recommends reorganizing and cleaning cabinets, removing grease and other accidental messes.
3. Upgrade your flooring — this can mean anything from replacing your carpet to adding hardwood floors.