When it comes to cleaning your home, what does clean really mean?
As household cleaning products go, most people associate clean with the scent of ammonia, pine, or chlorine bleach. And most people buy traditional cleaning products because our mothers and grandmothers bought them when we were growing up.
As millions of us use this spring season as motivation to mop, dust, and scrub around the house, we've pulled together some of the latest "alternative" cleaning products that claim to be safer, practical and easy. They make cleaning "green," in other words, kinder and gentler on people and the planet.
Lawrence "Axil" Comras, founder and creator of the website, greenhome.com, was asked to appear on Weekend TODAY. All of the "alternative" products mentioned on the show and below have been researched and "tested" by greenhome.com for their effectiveness.
- Clean Environment Company Glass and Window Cleaner
- Bi-O-Kleen Glass Cleaner
- Natural Choices Glass and Surface Cleaner
For scrubbing cleanser:
- Natural Choices Oxy-Scrub
- Clean Environment Company Natural Powdered Cleanser
For the toilet:
- Clean Environment Company's Bathroom Cleaner; Basin, Tub, and Tile Cleaner
- Clinging Toilet Bowl Cleaner
Cleaning Kitchen countertops
- Clean Environment Company All Purpose Cleaner
- Charlie's Soap All Purpose Cleaner
- Naturally Clean - For Your Kitchen - Enzyme Stain Cleaner
- Natural Choices Oxy Boost
- Clean Environment Company's Color Safe Powdered Bleach and Liquid Bleach
For laundry detergent:
- Bi-O-Kleen Laundry Powder
- Natural Choices Laundry detergent oxy-prime powder
- Clean Environment Company's detergent and softener