Does putting your duvet on the comforter make your blood boil? Are you always overdressing salads? Have you endured cut after cut after cut trying to slice cheese? It all stops now!
Real Simple magazine’s Sarah Humphreys stopped by Studio 1A to share tips and tricks for tackling some of life’s pesky tasks.
Stuffing that comforter back in the duvet cover after washing bedding is one of life's more frustrating moments, but it doesn’t have to be when you follow these steps:
1. Turn the duvet cover inside out. Lay it on top of your bed with the cover’s opening facing away from where you stand.
2. Place your comforter on top of the duvet. Make sure all of the corners are aligned. If you have corner ties, tie them together.
3. Stand opposite of the opening. Begin to roll the comforter and duvet together like a burrito.
4. Once everything is rolled up, grab one end of the roll and, using the enclosure of the duvet cover, stuff the comforter roll inside, similar to a sandwich bag.
5. Button or zip the duvet cover closed. Position the burrito/roll on the bed so that the enclosure is aligned with the bottom of the bed.
6. Begin unrolling and you are done!
Shake it off
Cocktail shakers aren’t only helpful when you need a drink. They can also be used for various other tasks, including sprinkling French toast, cookies and other treats with powdered sugar. Simply put powdered sugar in the shaker and use it as a duster.
Another helpful cocktail shaker task: Put unpeeled garlic inside the shaker and shake it for 20 seconds. The cloves will come out unpeeled!
Salad spinners can do more than just remove water from your lettuce. Here are two other ways you can put that spinner to use:
- If you have overdressed a salad, simply put the salad in the spinner, spin it a few times and the dressing will come off.
- Remove excess water from sweaters after washing by giving them a spin, then laying them flat to try.
Next time you need to paint a wall, make sure you have a smoothie cup with its dome lid nearby to use as a paint tray. The brush will be able to stand up on its own within the cup.
Avoid losing a finger when cutting hard cheese. Instead, grab the vegetable peeler. Simply slide the peeler over the cheese and you will have perfect slices.