Move over farm-to-table movement, there's a new trend in town: bar cart-to-bathroom and beyond! It turns out that one of the signature cart staples — vodka — is actually a super versatile liquid, and easily serves as a great cleaner. In fact, vodka (the cheaper the better) can be used throughout the house to clean dirty surfaces and freshen up musty fabrics. While it may sound like a waste of good alcohol, it's perfect in a pinch. We'll toast to that!
Creative new uses for vodka around the home
1. Bathroom: Want gleaming tile? Vodka works wonders on soap scum. Just spray on mildew, let it sit for 10 minutes, then wipe away.
2. Kitchen: Here's an easy trick to effectively clean the nooks and crannies of your kitchen's cutting boards. Just spritz cutting boards with vodka, and let it sit for a few minutes. Then wash as you would normally.
3. Bedroom: Everyone sweats in their sleep, which can cause your mattress to get gross over time. Using your spray bottle, sparingly spritz vodka on the mattress. Just air out the mattress and let it dry completely before you put sheets back on the bed. Do this two times a year. And, if your linens are feeling a bit meh, freshen them up with a few squirts of vodka. Before you do, add a few drops of essential oil for added fragrance.
4. Shoes and musty places and things: Deodorize with vodka! Just add vodka to a spray bottle and give a spritz to shoes or anywhere else that needs a little freshening up — like the inside of a trash can or a musty coat closet.
5. Mirrors and windows: Vodka makes a fabulous streak free glass cleaner. Just spray and wipe!