The countdown to Mother's Day is on — and if you're still scrambling to think of a gift, lifestyle expert Limor Suss is here with some DIY ideas that are perfect for mothers, grandmothers and any other woman in your life.
Infused olive oil
- Glass Jars with cork stopper
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Your desired infusion flavor, such as rosemary, sage, basil, etc.
Note: Infusing olive oil isn’t as simple as just adding flavors to olive oil. Since bacteria can grow, you want to make sure that herbs are fully dried.
- Combine two cups of olive oil with 4-5 herb sprigs in a saucepan.
- Cook over low heat for five minutes.
- Cool to room temperature.
- Transfer to glass jar and seal. (You can strain the herb sprigs and just keep one for garnish.)
- Refrigerate and use within a week.
- Bring to room temperature before using.
Afternoon wine and cheese time
- Mini heart-shaped cookie cutter
- Two types of cheese
- Select two of mom's favorite cheeses. (Keep in mind that soft cheeses like goat cheese don’t cut well.)
- Cut out heart shapes in cheese with the cookie cutter.
- Display on cheese plate.
- Serve with glass of mom's favorite wine.
Chalkboard color-block planters
What you'll need
- 2 colors of chalkboard paint
- Chalk marker
- Paint the planter with a coat of chalkboard paint.
- Let dry and repeat.
- To get the color-block effect shown, use a second chalkboard paint color to paint the top of the planter.
- Let dry and repeat.
- Once dry, write a note for your mom with the chalk marker.
- Take it to the next level by adding a plant to the planter.
Handprint or footprint canvas print
- 8-inch by 10-inch canvas
- Non-toxic fingerpaint
- Little hands or feet
- White chalk or sharpie
- Lay down a blanket or sheet.
- Layer a paper towel or sponge with paint.
- Dab onto the little hands or feet. (Note: If child is younger than 1, this will be more challenging than it seems.)
- Press hand or foot onto canvas.
- Lay flat to dry.
- With chalk or a metallic sharpie, write the child’s name and current year.
Note: Buy an extra canvas as this might not go as planned the first time around.
Gold confetti picture frame
- White picture frame
- Gold adhesive paper
- Hole puncher
- Color printer
- Punch holes in the gold adhesive paper and start placing the circles on the border of the picture frame.
- On a word document, select color, type mom in your desired font and add a border.
- Print to a color printer.
- Cut to size and attach to cardstock using double sided tape.
- Place in frame.
Breakfast in bed
- Finished wood tray
- Black Chalkboard paint
- White chalk marker
- Acrylic Paint
- Painters tape
- Using painter's tape to tape down the inside of the tray.
- Paint the bottom of the tray with black chalkboard paint.
- Once finished, paint the outside of the tray with acrylic paint.
- Let dry for about an hour or two. (Note: Some paint will take overnight so plan accordingly.)
- Remove painter’s tape and finish painting the inside of the tray.
- Let dry then repeat for a second coat.
- Once all has dried, figure out the placement of each item.
- Map out plates onto the tray.
- Mark placement with chalk marker.
- In the morning, fill up the plates with mom’s favorite goodies and you have a beautiful breakfast in bed for mom.