Sign up for the TODAY newsletter

You have successfully subscribed to the TODAY newsletter.

Subscribe now and get trending stories, celebrity news and all the best of TODAY.

Carbon monoxide: The silent killer that could be lurking in your home

by Jeff Rossen and Josh Davis /  / Updated  / Source: TODAY

Get the latest from TODAY

Sign up for our newsletter

Last month, seven children were killed along with their father when carbon monoxide filled the bedrooms of their Maryland home.

Carbon monoxide is called the "silent killer" because you can't see it or smell it. That's why you should have a carbon monoxide detector on every level of your home. But when Rossen Reports did spot checks door to door with the St. Paul, Minnesota, fire department, they found that many homeowners don't have them.

Carbon monoxide detectors cost less than $50 at any big box store, and are simple to install; they plug into any outlet and do not need to be positioned high like smoke detectors. Devices that detect both smoke and carbon monoxide are effective as well.

To suggest a topic for an upcoming investigation, visit the Rossen Reports Facebook page.

Get the latest from TODAY

Sign up for our newsletter
MORE FROM today