At TODAY we take care to recommend items we hope you’ll enjoy! Just so you know, TODAY may get a small share of the revenue.Using interviews with specialists, online reviews and personal experience, TODAY editors, writers and experts take care to recommend items we really like and hope you’ll enjoy! TODAY does have affiliate relationships with various online retailers. So, while every product is independently selected, if you buy something through our links, we may get a small share of the revenue.
The colder temps outside make us want to do one thing, and one thing only: snuggle up inside.
Whether lounging on the sofa by the fire or cuddling up in bed with extra layers, throw blankets can give you extra warmth while also adding style to your space.
Why everyone needs (and loves) throw blankets
- They're comfortable: New York City-based interior designer Diana Mui of d.m.teriors told TODAY that a throw blanket is a great way to finish up a room. “It can also easily add comfort by snuggling into it during movie night,” she said. “I couldn’t do without one.”
- They're versatile: Because they’re relatively inexpensive and not hard to store, you can switch them out depending on your mood, the season or room theme, Mui added.
But, how do you pick the best one? There are so many different fabrics and sizes out there, after all.
How to pick the best throw blanket
- Be selective about fabrics: When it comes to material, Mui said her favorite for the winter months are faux fur and anything chunky. Not only does it add warmth, but the look gives the space nice texture. One of her least favorite fabrics for throw blankets is pure wool. “I am not a fan because I find it itchy, and it pills easily,” she said.
- Go bold with colors and patterns: This is where you can really have fun. “There are really no rules here,” Mui said, adding that a throw blanket with a fun design or bold hue can give new life to your space. “For example, if you have a room that has zero splash of color, a single throw blanket can transform a room.”
- Pick a size based on where it'll go: If you’re buying one for the sofa, Mui suggests going with something sized around 50” x 70.” “It’s small enough to move around, but large enough to cover yourself and snuggle.” And if the blanket is for the bedroom, Mui suggests going with a bigger size. “I think it makes a bed look more finished and fills it out nicely,” she added.
In the market for a new throw blanket? Here are some cozy options that fit Mui's advice:
- 1. Chanasya Faux Fur Throw Blanket, 30, Amazon
Look at how soft that is! With over 4,000 reviews on Amazon, this faux fur blanket is a favorite among shoppers. It comes in 18 different colors and a variety of sizes that will fit a sofa or bed.
- 2. Maysville Throw, $68, Wayfair
This chunky knit is made from acrylic fabric. It’s great for adding texture and warmth to a space, but it might be best for display only since it does have a tendency to shed. But if you do want to curl up with it, just keep a lint roller handy!
- 3. Edgewood Plaid Blanket, $48, Wayfair
If you’re looking for a winter-specific pattern to make your space feel extra-warm, this is a fun one from Eddie Bauer. Available in three different plaid colors, the blanket is lined on the reverse side with a soft white sherpa.
- 4. Woven Jemma Throw Blanket, $98, Anthropologie
Make it pop with color! This striped blanket trimmed with tassels is great if you want to add more bold hues to your space.
- 5. Exclusivo Mezcla Luxury Flannel Velvet Plush Throw Blanket, $16 (usually $30), Amazon
Made with microfiber polyester, this simple blanket is soft, durable and super affordable. It also comes in a variety of colors and sizes.
- 6. Kennebunk Bliss Plush Throw, $40, Nordstrom
This plush throw blanket features 4” tassels, and comes in 25 different colors. Get one for yourself and grab one for a friend as the classic design makes for a great housewarming gift, too.
- 7. Gildea Over-sized Plush Blanket, $31, Wayfair
The large size makes this one great for folding up at the end of the bed, adding a pop of color to the room and giving you extra layers for warmth.
- 8. Threshold Yarn Dye Stripe Ringspun Cotton Blanket, $23, Target
If you’re looking for a medium weight fabric that will work year-round, Mui said she loves this patterned one from Target.
- 9. Coziest Throw, $20 (usually $39), West Elm
Mui said this is her go-to blanket when she’s looking for something simple and affordable. “It’s soft and cozy and doesn’t pill easily,” she said.
How to fold throw blankets
For living room throw blankets, she said you can either neatly fold them and drape over a chair or the arm of a sofa, or you can just throw it casually in the middle of the sofa. “It’s the one accessory you can have that doesn't need to be set perfectly on the sofa.”
For a bedroom, you can fold it neatly at the end of the bed to make it part of the room’s everyday style.