Get the latest from TODAY
Looking to lose weight but don't have a lot of time to plan out meals? We've got you covered! I've created a simple 30-item shopping list you can take to the store that will give you everything you need to make easy, healthy meals and snacks each day for a week.
And the best part is, while there are seven days' worth of meals below, you can also mix, match and repeat these recipes to last a whole month — or more! And this budget-friendly grocery list is easy on your wallet, too! (You'll need a few simple pantry staples, like olive oil, salt and vinegar, so double check the list below to make sure you have the basics before getting started.)
- Broccoli (2 heads or frozen bags)
- Carrots (2 bags)
- Dark leafy greens, including lettuce (3 large bags)
- Onions, yellow (4)
- Peppers, bell (5)
- Spinach (10oz pack frozen, chopped)
- Tomatoes (3)
- Beans, any preferred variety (2 cans)
- Potatoes, sweet and white (3 white, 3 sweet)
- Apples (4)
- Bananas (4)
- Berries, any variety (2 frozen bags)
- Oranges (3)
- Grapefruit (3)
- Chicken breasts, skinless (1 package / 4 half breasts)
- Eggs and/or egg substitutes (one dozen or container)
- Pork tenderloin (6 oz)
- Turkey, ground (2.5 pounds, at least 90% lean)
- Turkey, sliced (1/2 pound)
- Salmon, wild (1 can/pouch and 1 fillet)
- Shrimp (12-16oz frozen bag)
- Tuna (6 oz can light, packed in water)
- Nuts, seeds and nut butters, any preferred variety (one jar nut butter, one package nuts/seeds)
- Lentils (one bag)
- Cheese, reduced-fat (1 package shredded, any flavor)
- Milk (1 container skim, 1% low-fat, soymilk, or unsweetened almond)
- Greek yogurt, fat-free or low-fat (5 single containers)
- Bread, whole grain (1 loaf, regular or reduced calorie)
- Cereals, whole grain (1 box)
- Waffles, whole grain (1 box)
The recipes in this 7-day slimdown plan also include these mainstay condiments — please check your pantry and make sure you have these on hand!
- Dijon mustard
- Marinara sauce
- Salad dressing, low calorie
- Olive oil
7-day slimdown meal plan:
3. Whole grain cereal with milk and fruit: Enjoy 150 calories of whole grain cereal, 1 cup milk (skim, soy, or unsweetened almond milk) and one of the following fruit options; 1/2 banana, 1 orange, 1/2 grapefruit or 1/2 cup berries.
4. Open-faced PB-banana sandwich: Enjoy with crunchy carrots or bell pepper sticks on the side.
7. Salmon salad Dijonnaise: Enjoy over leafy greens with 1 slice of whole-grain toast and 1 orange or ½ grapefruit.
Dinner: 1. Turkey-spinach burger: Enjoy 1 burger without the bun. Serve with a baked sweet potato and mixed green salad with 2 tablespoons low-calorie dressing (or 1 teaspoon olive oil and unlimited vinegar).
2. Lemon-Garlic Shrimp: Enjoy with 2 cups sautéed leafy greens and ½ baked sweet potato.
3. Chicken paillard pizza with veggies and salad: Enjoy 1 serving of pizza with a side salad topped with 2 tablespoons low-calorie dressing (or 1 teaspoon olive oil and unlimited vinegar).
4. Baked fish with steamed broccoli and baked potato: Enjoy 5 ounces grilled, roasted or baked fish with unlimited steamed broccoli and baked potato topped with 2 tablespoons lowfat Greek yogurt.
5. Fiesta omelet with baked sweet potato: Enjoy with a plain baked sweet potato on the side.
6. Mini turkey meatloaves: Enjoy 2 mini meatloaves with a salad topped with 2 tablespoons low-calorie dressing (or 1 teaspoon olive oil and unlimited vinegar).
7. Pork tenderloin, baked potato and carrots: Enjoy 6 ounces of roast pork tenderloin with cooked carrots and a baked potato.
1. Apple with 1 level tablespoon nut butter
2. Orange + 15 nuts
3. Apple + 15 nuts
4. Lettuce-pepper-turkey roll-ups (1/4 pound sliced turkey wrapped around lettuce and bell pepper sticks)
5. Banana + skim latte (skip sugar)
6. Low-fat Greek yogurt: And 1 tablespoon nuts (or 2 tablespoons whole-grain cereal)