We may fantasize about going on a tropical vacation, buying a luxury car or winning the lottery, but there's good news for those of us who aren't likely to fulfill those dreams anytime soon: We don't actually need any of that fancy stuff to find happiness.
A new survey reveals that it's the simple things — like the sensation of the warm sun on our faces — that really make us feel fabulous.
U.K. healthcare group Bupa sponsored the survey that asked 2,000 people what brought them happiness, and here are the 50 feel-good results:
1. Sleeping in a freshly-made bed
2. Feeling the sun on your face
3. People saying "thank you" or a random act of kindness from a stranger
4. Finding money in unexpected places
5. Having time to myself
6. Laughing so hard it hurts
7. Snuggling on the sofa with a loved one
8. Freshly-made bread
9. Doing something for others
10. The clean feeling after a shower
11. When your favorite song comes on the radio
12. Finding a bargain in the sales
13. Listening to the rainfall/thunderstorms when you’re inside
14. Freshly-brewed tea/coffee
15. The thrill of personal achievement
16. Having a long hot bath
17. Seeing a fresh coating of snow
18. Freshly-cut grass
19. Chocolate melting in your mouth
20. Doing something active outdoors (e.g. bike ride, run, country walk)
21. Bacon cooking in the morning
22. Talking to or playing with your pet
23. A soothing massage
24. That "Friday feeling"
25. A perfectly-cooked steak
26. Waking up before the alarm and realizing there’s more time to sleep
27. Doing exercise
29. Remembering the name of something/someone you thought you’d forgotten
30. Making a perfectly-baked cake/pie
31. Stepping on crunchy autumn leaves
32. Popping bubble wrap
33. Swimming in the sea/lake
34. New car smell
35. Dancing like no one is watching
36. The smell of new books/magazines
37. Smell of a fine wine
38. Putting your "Out of Office" on before going on holiday
39. Putting on a brand new pair of socks
40. Watching your breath float away in cold air
41. Getting new stationary
42. Singing in the shower
43. Getting a seat on the bus/train/subway
44. Picking an easy peel orange from the fruit bowl
45. Loosening your jeans after you've eaten
46. The "pop" when you open a new jar of jam
47. Squeezing a [pimple]
48. Cleaning the wax from your ears
49. Cleaning the bathroom
50. The royal family
On Wednesday morning, the TODAY gang offered up their own additions to the list.
For Natalie Morales, nothing beats the smell of a newborn baby's head. Tamron Hall considers ice cream in bed to be the best. As for Matt Lauer, his happy place is in a shower with great water pressure.
But Hoda Kotb's simple pleasure was bit more complicated. "I like cozy sweats on a couch with an Entenmann's cake and ... some bad TV," she said.
We love it all!
Follow Ree Hines on Google+.