Get the latest from TODAY
Memorial Day weekend is the unofficial start for family cook outs and outdoor eating. And with so many of our favorite summer foods to choose from, it’s often hard to figure out what “smart” eating choice is at a summer barbecue — and the best ways to burn off those extra calories.
Test your food and fitness knowledge with our quiz as a start to your summer mindful eating and moving.
1. One of these appetizers has less than 150 calories for the same size serving (a quarter of a cup of dip, and 10 chips). Is it the baked corn chips and salsa or the hummus and pita chips?
2. Which one of these grilled favorites has about 250 calories: Hot dog on a bun with sauerkraut or a hamburger on a bun with lettuce and tomato?
3. Which of these two side dishes is a better calorie bargain for one half cup: Potato salad or vegetarian baked beans?
4. One of these desserts has 300 calories, while the other has more. Which one has 300: One cup of premium vanilla ice cream with strawberries or a slice of lemon meringue pie?
5. Only one of these drinks has 100 calories: 12 ounce beer, 5 ounces of wine, or a vodka and seltzer (using 1.5 ounces of vodka – a “jigger”)?
1. Chips and salsa (120 calories)
2. Hot dog (250 calories)
3. Baked beans (140 calories)
4. Ice cream (300 calories)
5. Vodka and seltzer (100 calories)
1. One of these backyard games burns more calories in one hour. Is it horseshoes or croquet?
2. Does jumping rope or using a hula hoop burn more calories for 30 minutes?
3. Does playing 30 minutes of badminton or touch football burn more calories?
1. Horseshoes (200 calories)
2. Jumping rope (300 calories)
3. Touch football (200 calories)