When it comes to healthier holiday eating and drinking, it’s all about smart indulgences. And if you think smart choices limit you to a wine spritzer and celery sticks, read on.
Some of your favorite cocktails and appetizer combinations might come in under 300 calories — enough to satisfy you at a party, but leave room for dinner. Take this quiz to test your calorie knowledge (answers below the questions). Then check out our top tips to make the most out of your own 300-calorie combinations.
ANSWERS: 1. UNDER: 280 cal (140 for the drink; 140 for the cheese and crackers). 2. OVER: 350 cal (200 for the drink; 150 for the eggrolls). 3. UNDER: 280 cal (120 for the wine; 140 for the chips and dip). 4. UNDER: 275 cal (95 for champagne; 180 for mini quiche). 5. OVER: 650 cal (600 margarita; 50 hummus and celery). 6. OVER: 365 cal (125 wine; 240 pigs in blankets). 7. UNDER: 270 cal (150 beer; 120 nuts).
Check out these tips if you’re looking for a tasty and healthier cocktail party experience:
- Use low-calorie mixers like seltzer or diet soda. Skip regular sodas and fruit juice mixers.
- Clear doesn’t mean calorie free — tonic water has the same calories as regular soda, so look for “diet tonic water”.
- Cut 25% - 40% of the calories in a 12 ounce beer when you choose “light” or “ultra-light” versions.
- Alternate a glass of seltzer with lime for every alcoholic drink that you consume.
- Look for low-fat dips like salsa. And alternate a chip with a raw vegetable (like carrot, celery, or pepper sticks) for your dipping.
- For built in portion control, one small handful is a single serving of chips or nuts – about 1 ounce. Avoid one-by-one eating: pre-select your portion on one plate.