Looking to get in shape this year? You can #startTODAY — even if you've never been inside of a gym before. Here are four simple steps you can add to your daily routine to see significant changes in 2015, plus a workout perfect for beginners.
1. Drink 20 sips of water as soon as you wake up in the morning. (Over the course of the day, aim to drink half your body weight in ounces of water.)
2. Walk 10,000 steps a day. Purchase an inexpensive pedometer at your local drugstore and get walking.
3. Cut out all carbs after 6pm. That's when we tend to do the most damage — big dinners, bread basket, pasta, etc.
4. Keep an extremely detailed food diary with one or more friends also looking to lose weight and email it to each other at the end of the day. You'll be surprised how quickly you change your habits and begin to make smarter food choices.
Do these tips require a little bit of work? Yes. A little effort? Yes. A slight bit of discomfort? Yes. But I've said it once and I'll say it a million times, if it doesn't challenge you, it won't change you. If you're ready to make a change, you can expect to see results!
If you're a newbie to the gym, don't be intimidated! Here's a beginner workout I crafted for TODAY's Jeff Rossen, our resident investigative correspondent who says he's never been to the gym before. If he can do it, so can you!
1. Apple pickers / jogging in place
Alternate these two moves so that you count down the apple picker from 20, and after every round of apple pickers, do 20 jogs in place. So, start with 20 apple pickers, then 20 jogs in place. Then 19 apple pickers, 20 jogs in place. Then 18 apple pickers, 20 jogs in place. Count your way down to 1 apple picker, 20 jogs in place.
2. Squats / jumping jacks
Alternate squats and jumping jacks. Start with 10 squats / 10 jumping jacks, then 9 squats / 9 jumping jacks, and count your way down to 1 squat / 1 jumping jack.
3. Set of push-ups off wall: 40 total
You are going to do 4 rounds of these pushups, 5 reps at a time. Each time, you will move your hands an inch wider.
Start by doing 5 reps with your hands touching, then 5 reps an inch wider, then 5 reps an inch wider, and 5 more reps an inch wider. Then, you're going to go back the other way: Start wide and end up with your hands touching. That will add up to 40 total pushups.
4. Bear crawls
Crouch down so that you can put your hands and your feet on the floor. Then, walk your hands and feet forward 20 paces. Repeat 3 times with no breaks.
5. Run 20 yards, then do 2 burpies. Repeat 5 times.
6. 100 shoulder circles forwards
Stand with your arms at your sides, and your shoulders relaxed. Gently roll your shoulders forward 100 times.
7. 100 shoulder circles backwards
Roll your shoulders up and backwards, with your arms held loosely at the sides.
8. 100 tricep pulses
9. 100 chest claps