Do you want to know which foundation is best for your skin, or which walking shoe wins for comfort and flexibility? Health magazine put the latest good-for-you products in beauty, food and fitness to the test in order to determine America’s healthiest buys.
For ten years, Health magazine has used a panel of dermatologists to select the healthiest beauty products. This year, we picked twenty-five of the best, from your head to your toes. The winners include:
- Best facial cleanser: St. Ives Elements Protective Cleanser. If you’re not a fan of slathering on sunscreen every morning, this facial wash, with an SPF of 10, lets you cleanse and protect in one step. Sunscreen is encapsulated in positively charged silica shells, which bind to negatively charged skin, preventing the vital sun protection from rinsing away. ($6.99)
- Best foundation: Lancôme Color Ideal Precise Match Skin Perfecting Makeup SPF 15. This great base is more like a complexion enhancer than a camouflaging agent. It contains vitamin E and provitamin B5 to condition skin, glycerin to keep your face hydrated throughout the day, and SPF 15 to protect against harmful rays. ($37)
- Best body sunscreen: Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Body Mist Sunblock SPF 70. Before you step into the sun, protect yourself with this quick-absorbing and odorless sunblock. With an SPF of 70, this waterproof and sweatproof UVA-UVB formula is noncomedogenic, oil-free (essential if you’re acne-prone), and PABA-free (key if you’re allergic). Plus, the spray bottle makes full-body coverage a breeze. ($9.99)
- Best hairstyling product: Dove Intense Damage Therapy Heat Shield Spray. Flat irons, curling irons, and blow-dryers, oh my! Your dry and damaged hair gets help from this conditioning spray. Silicone droplets coat the hair and absorb the heat, so your hair doesn’t have to. ($3.78)
- Best deep-conditioning treatment: Garnier Fructis Strength & Repair Instant Melting Masque. This creamy conditioner with a subtle apple aroma uses moisture-carrying lipid molecules (known as ceramides) to repair damage caused by harsh chemical treatments and overuse of styling products. Its moisturizing avocado and apricot oils help make dry hair healthy again. ($3.99)
With more than 30,000 different products at your typical grocery store, there’s no way to scan all the labels and taste everything too, so Health magazine’s experts did it for you. The 25 winners are all nutritious, delicious and available at most grocers and specialty markets. The winners include:
- Best grab-and-go breakfast item: Planters Daybreak Blend, Berry Almond Trail Mix. Dashing off to work without time for a real breakfast? Instead of getting sucked in by that jumbo coffee-shop muffin, grab this satisfying blend of almonds, raisins, cranberries, and granola clusters. (It’s also good stirred into vanilla yogurt.) Each portable pouch has 180 calories and 3 grams each of fiber and protein.
- Best yogurt: Rachel’s Refresh Pink Grapefruit Lychee Yogurt. This new brand’s flavors make you feel like you’re eating yogurt for the first time. The pink grapefruit-lychee flavor is just tart enough, and judge Keegan Gerhard loves that it’s made with evaporated cane juice instead of high fructose corn syrup. The added DHA omega-3s (important for brain health) only sweeten the deal.
- Best frozen lunch: Helen’s Kitchen Thai Yellow Curry with Tofu Steaks & Vegetables over Rice. Don’t settle for another bland lunch at your desk. This vegan dish is a tasty mix of organic broccoli, red peppers, tofu, and basmati rice. It’s satisfying, too, thanks to 12 grams of protein per serving. All this for 280 calories, less than 5 grams of fat, 1 gram of saturated fat, and 30 percent of your daily calcium needs.
- Best frozen pizza: Kashi All Natural Five Cheese Tomato Pizza. Kashi took its legendary seven whole grain mix and created a fabulous pizza crust with it. Covered with a mouthwatering and supercheesy blend of Asiago, Parmesan, mozzarella, and two types of Cheddar, this doesn’t taste like a healthy pizza. The crust cooks up nice and crisp, and one-third of the pie is less than 300 calories and 10 grams of fat.
These workout must-haves will help you get in the best shape of your life (without wasting half of it shopping). Our judges have done the hard part; all you have to do is get moving! Most winners are available at sporting goods stores. The winners include:
- Best watch: Timex Ironman Sleek iControl Watch. Forget fumbling for your iPod while walking. Instead, sync it up with this watch and then just push the buttons on its face to play, skip, and adjust the volume of your favorite tunes. ($100)
- Best bra top: Champion Seamless Empire Tech Tank. With a built-in bra, this comfy wicking top supports up to a D cup for low-impact activities like Pilates and up to a C cup for walking and other medium-intensity pursuits. Bonus: The empire waist helps camouflage belly pooch. ($36)
- Best shorts/skirt: Moving Comfort Endurance Skort. This shorts-and-skirt combo surprised our judge with its versatility and comfort. The flattering cut makes it a perfect fit for running, lifting weights, or sweating through a class at the gym. ($36)
- Best walking shoe: Merrell Siren Ventilator. Perfect for a quick jaunt or a calorie-blasting power walk, these shoes have a rubber sole that comfortably supports your arch, and the beveled heel allows you to pick up the pace without shortening your stride. ($85)
- Best dance DVD: 3-2-1 Dance Featuring Petra Kolber. Straight forward cueing and creative moves make Kolber’s dance variations fun during this calorie-blasting 55-minute workout. ($14.99)
For the full list of winners visit http://www.health.com.