As a man, I have to admit: Guys can be needy. So here’s a compilation of the thoughts and acts that will require minimal sacrifice on your part while bringing us untold pleasure. Read it, learn it, try it. Thank you.
1. Your backing when he takes a risk. Guys need to keep in touch with adventure — why else would “Man vs. Wild” be a TiVo staple? “When I wanted to switch careers, my girl said to go for it,” says Will, 30. “Having her in my corner gave me the courage to try.”
2. The right to keep secrets. Why should he have to tell you his friend is having an affair, or that his cousin lost his job and hasn’t told his wife yet? If it’s not integral to your relationship, don’t feel threatened. His discretion shows he’s a grown-up.
3. A guilt-free boys’ night out. The cure for “girly-man” syndrome is contact with other high-fiving men. This may mean a trip to the bar or an Ultimate Fighting Championship — but it’s definitely without you, and that’s OK. “See me off with a smile,” says Al-Teriq, 38. “That trust is critical.”
4. The green light to actually have sex, should the opportunity arise, with someone on his Celebrity List of Five. And by all means, hop on Brad Pitt if you ever get the chance.
5. Some space when his team loses the big game. And you can save your “maybe next year” optimism; just give us time alone to weep.
6. A heads-up when you just need us to listen. Sometimes all you really want to do is vent to us about something. A simple warning in advance and we promise we’ll stay quiet and let you talk it out.
7. Patience when he says the wrong thing. Like when you ask, “How’s my hair?” and we say, “Fine,” instead of “Amazing!” Give us a break: We’re trying.
8. Big guffaws and tiny giggles. We like to hear laughter — preferably following one of our silly jokes. We know, we know: Chris Rock and Jerry Seinfeld we are not, but anything you offer will be very much appreciated.
9. Frequent (and enthusiastic) trips downtown. Yes, we all request this, but that’s because it really is that good. We’re happy to return the favor.
10. A GPS for the car. You want this too. It will end those “where the *#!? are we?” arguments once and for all.
11. The freedom to be himself. It’s important for people in a relationship to retain a sense of self, and for guys that’s achievable in some unexpected ways. “Leaving the toilet seat up or spending the weekend in boxers can be an act of rebellion,” says Samuel, 27. “We need to do stuff we’ve always done, even though you might not like it.”
For "10 things he's thinking when you're naked," visit Glamour magazine online.