Southern Living magazine has recalled its April issue from newsstands because of an error in a recipe for dinner rolls that resulted in minor burns to at least five readers.
The recipe for icebox rolls incorrectly instructed cooks to boil a cup of water and a half cup of shortening over high heat for five minutes. But that can cause the melted grease to rise to the top of the saucepan, trapping the hot water and creating an explosive burst.
“This could lead to splattering and burning somebody,” said Martha Johnston, Southern Living vice president for food marketing.
The recall, announced Wednesday, was the first in the 38-year history of the magazine.
In addition to recalling the magazine from newsstands, Southern Living sent postcards with the corrected recipe to all subscribers.
The correct recipe calls for pouring a cup of boiling water over the shortening in a large bowl and stirring to melt the shortening.
Johnston did not have an estimate of how much the mistake would cost the magazine. About 250,000 copies are sold on newsstands each month.