Tacos may not be the first dish to come to mind when planning a quick and light summer meal, but it certainly can be. On NBC’s “Today” show, Cooking Light editor and registered dietitian Ellen Carroll shares a few ideas on how to make the perfect summer tacos from the August issue of Cooking Light. Check out some of the recipes below.
DINNER TONIGHT: TACOS
SHRIMP TACO MENUAllen Smith
Corn and Avocado Salsa:
Combine 2 cups fresh corn kernels, 1/3 cup chopped avocado, 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion, 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro, 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice, and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
1. Peel and devein shrimp.
2. Bring cooking water for shrimp to a boil.
3. While cooking water comes to a boil:
-Chop cilantro, avocado, jalapeno, and red onion.
-Cut kernels off corn cobs.
4. While shrimp cooks: Chop tomato and green onions.
Shredded rotisserie chicken or flaked, cooked fish also works well in these tacos.
1. Place the peppercorns on a double layer of cheesecloth. Gather edges of cheesecloth together, and tie securely. Combine cheesecloth bag, water, salt, red pepper, and lime quarters in a Dutch oven. Bring to a boil; cook 2 minutes. Add shrimp; cook 2 minutes or until done. Drain. Discard cheesecloth bag and lime quarters.
2. Combine shrimp, cilantro, lime juice, and jalapeno pepper, tossing well to coat. Heat tortillas according to package directions. Spoon 1/3 cup shrimp mixture into each tortilla; top each taco with 1 tablespoon tomato, 2 teaspoons sour cream, and 2 teaspoons onions. Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 3 tacos).
Total time: 30 minutes
CALORIES 358 (20 percent from fat); FAT 7.8g (sat 3g, mono 0.8g, poly 1.7g); PROTEIN 29.3g; CARB 43.6g; FIBER 5.1g; CHOL 188mg; IRON 4.1mg; SODIUM 612mg; CALC 250mg
The salsa and tacos both call for chopped cilantro and fresh lime juice, so measure for both recipes at the same time.
9123720604816049060499corn kernels2cup2 cups fresh corn kernelsavocado0.3333333333333333cup1/3 cup chopped avocadored onion0.25cup1/4 cup finely chopped red onioncilantro2tablespoon2 tablespoons chopped cilantrolime juice1tablespoon1 tablespoon fresh lime juicesalt0.5teaspoon1/2 teaspoon saltblack peppercorns3tablespoon3 tablespoons black peppercornswater3quart3 quarts watersalt1tablespoon1 tablespoon saltred pepper1teaspoon1 teaspoon ground red pepperlimes2 limes, quarteredshrimp1pound1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveinedcilantro0.5cup1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantrolime juice0.25cup1/4 cup fresh lime juicejalapeno pepper1tablespoon1 tablespoon minced seeded jalapeno peppertortillas12 (6-inch) corn tortillastomato0.75cup3/4 cup chopped peeled tomatosour cream0.5cup1/2 cup reduced-fat sour creamgreen onions0.5cup1/2 cup chopped green onions
Chicken Soft Tacos with Sauteed Onions and ApplesAllen Smith
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 2 tacos)
Combine 4 cups shredded cabbage, 1/3 cup thinly sliced red onion, 1/4 cup chopped cilantro, 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice, 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper, and 1/4 teaspoon brown sugar, tossing well.
Canned refried beans
1. While pan preheats: Cut chicken into bite-sized pieces.
2. While onion mixture cooks: Warm refried beans.
3. Prepare coleslaw.
4. Warm tortillas.
Chicken Soft Tacos with Sauteed Onions and Apples:
1. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle the chicken evenly with salt, nutmeg, and pepper. Add chicken to pan; saute 7 minutes or until golden. Remove the chicken from pan; keep warm.
2. Melt butter in pan over medium heat. Add onion; cook 4 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently. Add apple; cook 6 minutes or until golden, stirring frequently. Add garlic; cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Return chicken to pan; cook 2 minutes or until thoroughly heated, stirring frequently.
3. Heat tortillas according to package directions. Arrange 1/2 cup chicken mixture evenly over each tortilla.
Total time: 35 minutes
CALORIES 454 (25 percent from fat); FAT 12.6g (sat 3.8g, mono 6.1g, poly 1.5g); PROTEIN 32.9g; CARB 51.5g; FIBER 4.8g; CHOL 73mg; IRON 3.3mg; SODIUM 705mg; CALC 116mg
Bagged shredded cabbage will save a preparation step.
9123720604816049029153shredded cabbage4cup4 cups shredded cabbagered onion0.3333333333333333cup1/3 cup thinly sliced red onioncilantro0.25cup1/4 cup chopped cilantrolime juice2tablespoon2 tablespoons fresh lime juiceapple cider vinegar2tablespoon2 tablespoons apple cider vinegarsalt0.5teaspoon1/2 teaspoon saltred pepper0.25teaspoon1/4 teaspoon ground red pepperbrown sugar0.25teaspoon1/4 teaspoon brown sugarolive oil1tablespoon1 tablespoon olive oilchicken breast1pound1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into bite-sized piecessalt0.5teaspoon1/2 teaspoon saltnutmeg0.5teaspoon1/2 teaspoon ground nutmegblack pepper0.5teaspoon1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepperbutter1tablespoon1 tablespoon butteronion2cup2 cups thinly sliced onionapple2cup2 cups thinly sliced peeled Granny Smith apple (about 2 apples)garlic2clove2 garlic cloves, mincedflour tortillas8 (6-inch) flour tortillas