Everyone loves a little show to go along with their dessert. You know the drill; a waiter comes tableside, lights a match and everyone claps as their Bananas Foster goes up in flames. Well, that’s how it’s supposed to happen anyway. A family at the Ozona Blue Grilling Co. in Palm Harbor, Florida, were watching their waiter prepare a Bananas Foster when he poured too much rum in it and caused an explosion.
According to the St. Petersburg Times, one of the family members, a 25-year-old woman, suffered first- and second-degree burns when her dress caught fire. She, along with a 56-year-old woman who suffered from respiratory burns, was flown by helicopter to Tampa General Hospital.
Bananas Foster is made by cooking bananas, butter, cinnamon and sugar in a skillet, then lighting it as rum is added. It’s often done tableside for entertainment’s sake, but it’s easy to imagine restaurant owners becoming more reticent to indulge in such practices after this.
This isn’t the first time a restaurant or bar owner has played with fire. Last summer, Albert Trummer, owner of the hip Manhattan cocktail lounge Apotheke, was arrested for reckless endangerment and criminal nuisance when undercover cops witnessed his ritual of pouring liquor on the bar and lighting it on fire.
How about you? Have you ever been frightened by a display of overzealous restaurant pyrotechnics?