For most kids, Easter means jellybeans and marshmallow bunnies. But it’s also the perfect time to make homemade chocolates. Charlie Palmer, owner and chef of Aureole in New York City shares some quick and easy holiday recipes for kids. Sample some of his sweet treats below.
CHARLIE PALMER’S CHOCOLATE EASTER EGGSCharlie Palmer
1. Melt both bittersweet and milk chocolate in a microwave at one minute intervals, stirring after each minute, until melted.
2. Bring heavy cream, crème fraiche, corn syrup, and flavorings to a boil. Allow to steep approximately 8 to 10 minutes on very low heat.
3. Pour cream mixture through a strainer to prevent any solids from going through.
4. Add cream mixture to melted chocolate. Whisk until smooth. The consistency should be quite smooth. If not, add some additional heavy cream.
5. Once your truffle base is ready you can pipe or scoop your truffles to desired shapes or sizes. Place truffles on cookie sheets.
6. Freeze 30 to 40 minutes, uncovered, and dip or roll in tempered chocolate (tempering chocolate directions follow) and garnish with crushed nuts, cocoa powder, coconut, or other chocolates.
To Temper Chocolate:
Melt 1 pound bittersweet chocolate to 115 to 120 degrees. Add 8 ounces unmelted chocolate. Allow to cool stirring constantly until temperature reaches 89 degrees. Pour a little on a cold surface to test. Chocolate should solidify with streaks or dullness. If your chocolate gets too cool, it will harden — just repeat the process.
To make Chocolate Easter Egg Shell:
Place the tempered chocolate in a deep bowl. Dip a blown up balloon (small balloons work best for beginners) in the tempered chocolate and place on a cold surface to set (at least five minutes). Once chocolate is set, pop balloon, and you will have a chocolate shell.
91236336092327770milk chocolate1pound1 pound milk chocolatebittersweet chocolate3ounce3 ounces bittersweet chocolateheavy cream0.5cup1/2 cup heavy creamcrème fraiche0.5cup1/2 cup crème fraichecorn syrup1tablespoon1 tablespoon corn syrupmilk chocolate12ounce12 ounces milk chocolatebittersweet chocolate6ounce6 ounces bittersweet chocolateheavy cream0.5cup1/2 cup heavy creamcrème fraiche0.5cup1/2 cup crème fraichecorn syrup1tablespoon1 tablespoon corn syrupground espresso0.25cup1/4 cup ground espressoKahluaKahlua to taste (optional)milk chocolate12ounce12 ounces milk chocolatebittersweet chocolate6ounce6 ounces bittersweet chocolateheavy cream0.5cup1/2 cup heavy creamcrème fraiche0.5cup1/2 cup crème fraichecorn syrup1tablespoon1 tablespoon corn syruptoasted ground almonds0.25cup1/4 cup toasted ground almondsAmarettoAmaretto to taste (optional)
Recipes provided by chef Charlie Palmer of New York’s Aureole restaurant. Copyright 2002. All rights reserved.