- 6 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves (about 1 ½ pounds total)
- 1 cup finely chopped shallots or onions
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- ½ of a 10-ounce package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts or walnuts, toasted
- ¾ cup shredded smoked mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup seasoned fine dry bread crumbs
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
Place 1 chicken breast half between 2 pieces of plastic wrap. Pound lightly with the flat side of a meat mallet into a rectangle about 1/8 inch thick. Remove plastic wrap. Season with salt and pepper. Repeat process with all chicken breasts.
For filling, in a medium skillet cook shallots or onions and garlic in the 2 teaspoons hot oil until tender. Remove from heat; stir in spinach, nuts and smoked mozzarella.
In a shallow bowl combine bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese. Fill each roll, using 2 to 3 tablespoons of filling.
Lightly brush each roll with the 1 tablespoon olive oil; coat with bread crumb mixture. Place rolls, seam side down, in a shallow baking pan. Bake, uncovered, in a 400 oven about 25 minutes or until chicken is tender and no longer pink. Remove toothpicks before serving.
Total Prep Time: 40 minutes Total Bake Time: 25 minutes
11 g total fat (3 g sat. fat)
77 mg chol.
368 mg sodium
1 g fiber
35 g pro
Daily Values: 39% vit. A, 6% vit. C, 18% calcium, 8% iron