Andrea Robinson is currently one of just 17 female master sommeliers in the world. Here, she shares delicious wines under $10 perfect for various summer scenarios.
A burger bash (outdoor grilling):
- Massimo Rioja (Spain) $9;
- Jacob's Creek Reserve Shiraz (Australia) $10
When you're grilling beef you want a bold red because the flavors of the grill (char, smokiness) are intense. In Spain, food is cooked over a wood fire, and rioja is naturally suited to that.
A beach party lobster or clambake:
- McWilliams Hanwood Estate Chardonnay (Australia)- $10
- Cellar No. 8 Chardonnay (CA), both $10
Drink this with shellfish and sweet corn. The chardonnay will pick up the buttery elements of the meal.
Performance in the park:
- Segura Viudas Cava Rose (Spain) $10,
- Woodbridge Brut Sparkling (California), $9.99
Bubbles make it festive and elegant. When outdoors, serve wine in clear plastic wine glasses with stems, or just clear cups.
- Bandit Chardonnay Tetra Pak ($8.99 for 1L);
- The Climber Cabernet Sauvignon ($16.99 1.5L)
You don't need a corkscrew and it's lighter to carry than a bottle. No need to think wine in a tetra pak is second class. It's great for nature lovers because it's 30% reduction in the packaging carbon footprint, and it's less weight. And it's good wine. It's just more convenient and greener... and, it doesn't spoil!