It doesn’t get more classic than a good ol’ peanut butter and jelly on white or whole wheat, but sometimes a standard sandwich gets a little predictable. If you’re looking for new ways to get your fix of childhood nostalgia, turn to one of these five sweet PB&J variations that kids and grown-ups alike will love.
1. Peanut Butter and Jelly Doughnuts: Think you can’t make bakery-style doughnuts at home? Try this recipe from Baker by Nature. These sugar-dusted pillowy treats filled with a gooey mix of peanut butter and jelly take some time to make — you need to let the dough rise twice — but they’re completely worth the effort.
2. Peanut Butter and Jelly Cupcakes: Give PB&J a different childhood spin with cupcakes iced with peanut buttercream frosting and a dollop of your favorite jelly. Take a bite and you’ll find a hidden surprise inside — My Baking Addiction tucks a bit of jelly in the middle of each little cake.
3. Peanut Butter and Jelly Icebox Pie: Make two decadent layers of creamy filling for the effort of one: Bake or Break creates a cream cheese base, then divides it in half and adds peanut butter to one and strawberry preserves to the other. A nutty graham cracker crust brings everything together.
4. Peanut Butter and Jelly Ice Cream: Skip the bread and go straight for the good stuff: creamy peanut butter ice cream swirled with layers of jam. Brown Eyed Baker uses cornstarch instead of egg yolks for quicker and easier results without sacrificing flavor.
5. Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich Cookies: Re-think PB&J “sandwiches” with these clever little treats. The Baker Chick takes two crisp, chewy peanut butter cookies and sandwiches them together with homemade peanut butter cream and jam.
Maggie Shi is a writer and editor who lives in New York City. She has written for RealSimple.com, iVillage, FoodNetwork.com and Epicurious. Find her on Twitter and Instagram @maggshi.