Get the latest from TODAY
Don't settle for the same old takeout when it's too hot to cook. Stop by your supermarket deli counter and transform the same old cold cuts into a surprisingly fancy (and filling!) meal. With a few spreads and condiments, the usual suspects — ham, roast beef, rotisserie chicken and more — get new life when inspired by the classic French open-faced sandwiches known as tartines.
Whether you're hankering for a pesto-drizzled English muffin pizza or a shrimp roll that's so refreshing, you'll think you're at the beach, these no-cook, throw-together sandwiches have you covered. Each recipe makes four sandwiches, but it's easy to increase the amounts to serve as a sandwich buffet at parties, or scale down for smaller meals.
1. Roast beef, horseradish mayo, and arugula: Toast (if desired) 4 slices of pumpernickel bread. Mix 1 tablespoon mayonnaise with 1 teaspoon jarred horseradish (either mild or hot, depending on your preference) and spread about 1 tablespoon of the mayo on each slice. Top each slice with a small handful of arugula and 3-4 slices of roast beef.
2. Super-simple shrimp roll: Roughly chop 1/2 pound precooked, pre-peeled shrimp (available at the seafood counter or in the frozen section; thaw in cold water for 15-20 minutes if frozen). Dice 1 large or 2 small celery stalks. Mix the chopped shrimp and celery with 2 tablespoons mayonnaise, 1/4 teaspoon dried dill, 1/4 teaspoon salt and a pinch of celery seeds or celery salt (optional). Toast 4 hot dog buns and spoon the shrimp salad into each bun.
3. Salami, goat cheese and pesto "pizza": Split 2 English muffins and toast all 4 pieces. Spread about 1 tablespoon softened goat cheese on each muffin and drizzle about 1 teaspoon jarred pesto over the goat cheese. Top each muffin with 2-3 slices of salami.
4. Tzatziki-style chicken: Toast (if desired) 4 slices of whole wheat or multigrain bread. Peel and chop 1/2 a small cucumber to get about 1/2 cup diced cucumber. Mix the cucumber with 1 1/2 cup shredded rotisserie chicken (about 1-2 precooked chicken breasts' worth), 3 tablespoons Greek yogurt (any fat percentage), 1/4 teaspoon black pepper and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Divide the chicken salad evenly between each slice and sprinkle with additional pepper, if desired.
5. French ham and Gorgonzola baguette: Slice 2 4- to 5-inch lengths off a baguette and slice each in half to get 4 pieces of bread. Toast, if desired. Spread 2 tablespoons of Gorgonzola dolce cheese or other soft and spreadable blue cheese on each slice. Shred 1 large cored Granny Smith apple with the large holes of a box grater or the large slicing disc of a food processor. Mix the apple slaw with 1 teaspoon lemon juice and a small handful of raisins. Divide the apple slaw evenly between each slice and top each with 3-4 slices of ham.