Get the latest from TODAY
Ready to up your food game at home, by the beach or on the grill? We can help with that: This summer, TODAY Food is teaming up with Well+Good to not just give you advice, but to show you how it's done. (Because recipes are nice, but step-by-step videos are even better.)
Each week, we'll be unveiling a short video highlighting a super-easy, delish recipe that's sure to become a go-to year-round.To kick things off, we're focusing on the foundation of any healthy meal: the kale salad. Because if there's one thing you should perfect, it's this simple, superfood-packed dish.
Step one? Destemming your kale the right way. Yes, there's a right way to do it — and this simple trick will change your life. The secret is to do it when the kale is still dry — you can wash it after. First, circle your fingers at the stem. Then, slide down the kale leaf with a bit of force. Voila! No knife needed. Watch the video to see how it's done!
Creamy kale salad:
- 1 bunch of kale
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup lemon zest and juice (about 3 lemons)
- 1 avocado
1. Destem the kale. Wash after destemming and cut into ribbons.
2. Peel and cut the avocado into chunks. Throw it in the bowl with the kale.
3. Evenly distribute the olive oil and lemon zest on top of the kale and avocado. Add salt and pepper to taste. Massage the kale by working it into the olive oil using your hands for 5 minutes. Incorporate the avocado chunks in as well to provide a creamy texture, in the place of dressing.
Get more healthy recipes and tips from our Smart Summer Eats Pinterest board!