Paul McCartney was hospitalized in Tokyo, but is expected to recover fully from a virus that forced the former Beatle to postpone concerts there, his representative said on Thursday.
"Paul received successful medical treatment at a hospital in Tokyo," the statement said. "He will make a complete recovery and has been ordered to take a few days rest. Paul has been extremely moved by all the messages and well wishes he has received from fans all over the world."
McCartney, 71, thanked fans himself via a note on his website earlier in the week. "Thank you so much for your kind messages of support," he wrote. "I’m so very touched. Unfortunately my condition has not improved overnight. I was really hoping that I'd be feeling better today. I'm so disappointed and sorry to be letting my fans down."
McCartney rarely cancels shows, his site notes, and on Sunday told his staff he wanted to try and perform despite doctor's orders, but was overruled by his staff and physicians. He had planned a makeup show on Monday, but was unable to perform. He also canceled a show in South Korea, which would have been his first-ever show in that country.
McCartney is still scheduled to begin a series of U.S. concerts June 14 in Lubbock, Texas.