"Glee" star Cory Monteith died of mixed drug toxicity, involving intravenous heroin use combined with the ingestion of alcohol, the British Columbia coroner's office reported on Wednesday.
While the coroner's office had made a similar statement before, the new report offered some additional details about the young actor's death.
Monteith, 31, was found dead in his room at the Fairmont Pacific Rim hotel in Vancouver, B.C. on July 13.
"Investigators at the scene found drug paraphernalia, including a spoon with drug residue and a used hypodermic needle, along with two empty champagne bottles and glasses," the report read. "The investigation confirmed that hotel video captured Mr. Monteith returning alone to his room at 2:16 a.m. on July 13, and that he was not seen alive again."
The coroner's report suggested that Monteith's battle to stay off drugs may have inadvertently contributed to his death once he gave in and once again used the drugs. "It was also confirmed that he had a history of illicit drug use with intermittent periods of rehabilitation and of abstinence from drugs," the report said. "It is noted that if someone has abstained from using opioids (which include heroin) for a period of time, tolerance may be lessened."
The full report may be read online.
Monteith was honored at the Annual Primetime Emmy Awards on Sept. 22. "Glee" cast member Jane Lynch shared memories of the actor.
"Corey was a beautiful soul," Lynch said. "He was not perfect, which many of us here tonight can relate to. His death is a tragic reminder of the rapacious, senseless destruction that is brought on by addiction."
Monteith's character, Finn Hudson, will be mourned on an upcoming episode of "Glee," though show creator Ryan Murphy says the character will not die of an overdose, and in fact, his cause of death may never be revealed at all.