TODAY

TODAY   |  March 21, 2014

Australia sends more ships in Flight 370 search

More ships have left Australia this morning to join the intensive sea and air operation in the search for Flight 370 debris. The crew has so far found nothing. NBC’s chief global correspondent Bill Neely reports.

Share This:

This content comes from Closed Captioning that was broadcast along with this program.

>> let's take a turn now to bill neely where more ships have left this morning to join that search. good morning.

>> reporter: yes, good morning, carson. from perse in western australia , the air base for a number of planes from australia and the united states that have been scouring the ocean in the most intensive search ever mounted for a missing plane. we've had one australian air force plane return, another is due here in a second. the crew of the first plane said they've found nothing, but visibility was good. they had hoped to stay there earlier, but high winds meant they had to return. also returning now is a more sophisticated u.s. poseiden surveillance plane. hoping to spend about three hours searching in the area at 5,000 feet. if they see anything, they'll dip down to 1,000 feet. yesterday, though, they didn't see a thing except dolphins. no debris, they're due back here in about three hours. so high-tech planes, low-tech as you've heard with crew men with binoculars on the deck of a cargo ship . but this is incredibly difficult. one australian aviation expert said you could hardly pick a more difficult area. high winds , high sea swells, high waves, intensely difficult. so australian officials warning this could take days. we're expecting a plane back here very shortly. i'll have news if they have anything to report. back to