TODAY

TODAY   |  March 13, 2014

Tips to de-stress your brain

With the news of missing Flight 370 dominating the news, clinical psychologist Dr. Elizabeth Lombardo and life coach Laurie Gerber join TODAY to discuss how to ease certain fears, like a fear of flying, and calm your nerves.

Share This:

This content comes from Closed Captioning that was broadcast along with this program.

>>> that missing malaysian airplane has been dominating the news. it can be really scary.

>> but this morning, we have a reality check, just something to ease your fears. we have with us a clinical psychologist and a life coach. how we deal with fear is the key , dr. lombardo.

>> absolutely. there's a lot of bad news out there, what are we going to focus on and concentrate on, we get to choose so let's choose wisely.

>> and it's natural.

>> when things happen over which you have no control, that can cause a sense of learned helplessness.

>> it's important to listen to the statistics. for example, the chance of dying in a flight and airplane crash , 1 in ,229. keep things in perspective.

>> logic tells us we're way more likely to die because the bad eating habits and unhealthy behaviors that we're in full control of. the fact that we're worrying about things that are very unlukely are not good.

>> you say it's important to watch what we put into our brains and thoughts. and what else you surround yourself with.

>> especially right before you go to bed. bring something more positive aufr watch the news, whether it's reading, meditating.

>> and worrying is counterproductive. it's about shifting your focus.

>> part of our problem as human beings is we confuse worrying as doing something but it diverts our attention from what we care about. what we should be doing is calling someone or meeting someone in person that we love. these fears remind us that we love, we care.

>> and what about superstitions? people surround their fears by that. i won't get on the elevator to go to the 13th floor , i won't walk under a ladder.

>> i call it umbrella syndrome. if i bring my umbrella, it's not going to rain. that's not true at all.

>> sometimes it's your overall stress level that's playing into it and it enhances the fierears.

>> yes, when we're stressed, we go to seeing everything in the negative. be pro active, something in your regiment every day to reduce your stress.

>> when you say focus on gratitude, i think that's great, especially if you have children because it's easy for kids not to learn that lesson and fall into the cycle we adults have.

>> the great thing about being human is you can change your thoughts, choose your thoughts, press a pause button and decide what you are want to think about. you cannot be thinking about how much you love your children, your familiar or your friends or what you're going to do today that's going to be great and also be worrying at the same time.

>> live in the moment and gratitude. coming up, i have all the news you need before you leave the house this morning.

>> plus, the surprising reason why