Image: Today - Season 62
Peter Kramer / NBC

TODAY   |  November 19, 2013

Bethenny Frankel: Best talk-show guests ‘come to play’

TV personality and author Bethenny Frankel talks to Kathie Lee and Hoda about her new  talk show, “Bethenny,” and the kinds of guests she prefers, as well as about her feud with reality-TV star Omarosa Manigault.

Share This:

This content comes from Closed Captioning that was broadcast along with this program.

>>> we're back with more of "today." a guess who is familiar, miss bethenny frankel . i don't know why we have this?

>> because their skinny girl --

>> she is a successful business woman, a new york times best selling author. and her own talk show , called "bethenny."

>> and you were a guest.

>> and you're going to be next.

>> you were busy traveling.

>> we've been traveling a lot.

>> good for you.

>> do you have more skinny girl stuff?

>> yes, the new ones are new wines, pin grito.

>> the last time i was with bethenny, we shot a music video together.

>> i loved it.

>> i love sharing my hoda woman.

>> let's watch a little bit of it. come on. all day long. just keep running the video. $20 in my pocket looking for

>> that was just so -- wasn't that --

>> by the way, your show is weird like that. you do all kinds of crazy things. a music video one day.

>> i like to have fun.

>> how does that happen? organically? you say, hoda's coming on, she love music?

>> it's a combination. a lot of the ideas are my ideas though. i'll be like, let's do something crazy with hoda because she's up for it. the number one thing with a guest is they come to play. a lot of celebrities have to promote what they're doing. but i like people who reveal themselves. like james blount was on the other day. he was funny. he serenaded me. he came to play. that's the most fun kind of guest.

>> he learned how to do all of that in abiz za where he goes every summer.

>> sometimes you have these controversial interviews. i've cringed watching.

>> i know.

>> one of them was omarosa.

>> oh, my god.

>> did you know what was going to happen?

>> no, because it felt like "housewives." there were times when you would walk into a room and someone would come with a sledgehammer.

>> let's watch a clip.

>> i'm an african- american woman . you get to walk around and be mediocre and you still get rewarded with things. we have to be -- we have to be exceptional to get anything in this business. i wasn't calling her mediocre. i wasn't calling her mediocre.

>> that's okay. what is your business?

>> i teach young people . and i hope that the young people watching right now don't get discouraged. hear me out, ya'll. because there's a whole bunch of women in here and women get catty. i hope they don't get discouraged watching two women who have an opportunity to put things behind them. we have a chance to turn this thing around.

>> no we don't.

>> what was that like, tell us.

>> you know, you have a talk show . i'm new at this. i'm feeling my way through. i'm just true to myself and true to the situation. so what was happening is someone's coming into my home and kind of beating me up. but i have a show. hundreds and hundreds of days. it's not like i'm with her in a bar drinking martinis. like, let me tell you.

>> what happened between the two of you?

>> something that happened on "the view." a comment that i made that she didn't have a brand, that she was more infamous than famous. because someone had likened me to her and i was clarifying that i didn't agree with that. and it made her very upset. and then i did that again. and i think that some people -- her brand is to get it going. is hatred. is to get people to hate her and then we're still talking about her now. a lot of people do that. there are a lot of controversial people that come on and i think there's going to be this great interesting moment and what happened is they kind of want to just remain infamous or controversial.

>> here we go again.

>> omarosa's on line one.

>> maybe i'll take the two of you out to lunch. hoda can come too and we'll work it out for you guys.

>> bethenny, thank you. we wish you all the best.