TODAY

TODAY   |  October 30, 2013

Disaster-proof your home with these tips

On the anniversary of Superstorm Sandy, the DIY Network’s Stephen Fanuka provides some invaluable tips to prepare your home for potential weather-related disasters.

Share This:

This content comes from Closed Captioning that was broadcast along with this program.

>> can do right now to make sure your home and your family are protected and prepared in the event of another natural disaster . he is diy network 's million dollar contractor. nice to see you.

>> nice to see you.

>> we were looking at that piece and it's coast-to-coast and in between.

>> times are changing and the weather is getting rougher. we need to be prepared. during an emergency, you usually react. you don't think. so if you think ahead of time, you'll be well prepared for any emergency.

>> let's get to it. you say most important thing you can do before a storm is photograph your home and put away important documents in a safety deposit box or somewhere that's going to be weather proof and water tight, right?

>> exactly. everyone has a smartphone. take a picture of every room because god forbid when you come back something is destroyed, you'll have photographs of every individual room including the outside. when it comes to safety deposit box , put away all your documents, birth certificates, medical records . things that are going to be hard to retrieve later on, especially if you're not in your home.

>> when one of these storms is coming people run to the grocery store to stock up on food. what are the right things to get and what don't you need?

>> you want to have nonperishable goods. tuna, beans, things that are not going to spoil. i always tell people keep three gallons of water per person.

>> we have all of this behind with us the water, the canned goods . you don't want to really have a lot of protein like meats or anything because when the power goes out you'll be tossing that.

>> exactly and you may have to take it with you. you're very well prepared by the way.

>> yes, we are.

>> we try.

>> thanks to you. you also recommend a survival kit and one you keep in the car. not in the house.

>> yeah.

>> what's in it and why in the car?

>> i keep it in my car because if you have to leave, you may only have a few minutes to go. you want to keep batteries, flashligh flashlights, duct tape, anything you need outside. maybe medicine. your medical supplies. if you have allergies or something. transistor radios. especially a radio with batteries. flashlights.

>> the whole thing.

>> anything you may need outside.

>> and speaking of getting away in your car, you do want to have a full tank of gas as well. we saw last year gas shortages.

>> two hours i waited in line during sandy last year. so the night before, even two days before get some gas. maybe get a five gallon container and keep that with you.

>> all right. let's talk about prepping the house both inside and out. first of all, what do you want to do to the outside.

>> look around and find anything that's loose. make sure your doors are tight and your windows can lock. you may want to board up your windows. trim your bushes, your trees. pick up things from outside and store them inside the garage so they don't fly around.

>> what if you have a pool and you mentioned the trees out there. what can you do to keep the trees from falling over?

>> it's not about the falling over. it's really about the branchs that are adjacent to your house that may snap into the window. when it comes to pools, chlorine and vegetation doesn't mix. the chlorine will get out and destroy your landscaping.

>> what about from the inside?

>> unplug all small appliances because if you come back there maybe some electrical problems. you don't want to get shocked. inside, you also want to raise the temperature of your refrigerator. pack the food with dry ice . you don't want to open the refrigerator a lot. you want to keep it nice and cold in there.

>> we saw a lot of house fires as well after sandy. that's something to also keep in mind. what should you have in your home to prepare if you're in that unfortunate situation.

>> smoke detectors . have smoke detectors . right there. change the batteries twice a year. i always tell my family twice a year we're going to go over our evacuation, get ready if something would happen. colapsable ladders. they're approved. you want to teach the children to never hide from a fireman if there's a fire. i always tell people sleep with the doors closed it's safer. if you can get sprinklers even better.

>> all right. steven, thanks for getting us ready.

>> my pleasure.

>> maybe take some of these for our house.