TODAY   |  October 25, 2013

JonBenet Ramsey parents’ indictment to be unsealed

Secret grand jury documents reveal that JonBenet Ramsey’s parents, John and Patsy, were indicted in the early days of the investigation of their daughter’s death but legal analysts say this revelation will only defame John and his late wife. NBC’s Mike Taibbi reports.

Share This:

This content comes from Closed Captioning that was broadcast along with this program.

>>> sick.

>> and paul mccartney on why he's burying the hatchet after so many years.

>>> first, the death of jonbenet ramsey . an indictment against her parents is being released today.

>> reporter: it was a crime that scraped a national nerve. a high school beauty queen named jonbenet found murdered in her home at christmas. her parents were immediate suspects but after a investigation the da said there was no case against anyone.

>> if we do not have sufficient evidence to warrant the filing of charges against anyone.

>> it turns out that grand jury had motive to diet john and patsy ramsey for what happened in this house. signing off on a felony charge of child abuse resulting in death. craig silver man followed the case from the beginning.

>> the boulder prosecutor, he misled the public. we were lead to believe that either the grand jury did not indict or were ever asked to vote. they proclaimed their innocence.

>> i didn't kill my daughter.

>> i didn't have anything to do with it.

>> reporter: two years after patsy died in 2006 the district attorneys office exonerated both of them. saying new evidence pointed to an unknown male suspect. but reports filed suit about the public's right to know about the long ago indictment.

>> somebody said we know both parents were in the house. we know something happened.

>> reporter: while release of an unprosecuted indictment will only further defame ramsey and his late wife, the judge ruled it will be made public.

>> the people of colorado need to know what happened.

>> reporter: a notorious crime still making waves , still unsolved. for today, nbc news, boulder, colorado.

>> let's get more on this from lisa bloom . she followed this case for years as we all have. good morning to you.

>> good morning.

>> you say we should look at this as more of a historical document . it bears repeating that they were exonerated in 2008 . now we see an indictment.

>> lawyers like to say a grand jury will indict a ham sandwich . it's a one sided procedure. the defense doesn't put on a defense at all. ordinarily they do return an indictment but the district attorney said there isn't sufficient evidence to prosecute them.

>> here's what i don't get. we all know that the grand jury will indict who ever. they're a tool of the prosecutors. that's the criticism. explain why they would present evidence against the ramseys in this grand jury and get it and not file it?

>> they often look at it as an investigative tool. so all the witnesses come and testify and they review all the evidence as part of the investigation. but the district attorney did his own determination at the time after looking at all of the evidence. you know what, it's not there aginst these two.

>> and in 2008 they exonerated the parents writing no innocent person should have to endure such an extensive trial in the court of public within. the ramseys say it's unfair to release this now. do you agree?

>> i don't think it's unfair. the public has a right to know. but it has to be placed in context. two das says they're victims and not suspects. patsy ramsey is now gone. it's in context of what happened later.

>> yeah, the ramsey family wanted all the transcripts released but the judge said he was not permitted to do that. lisa bloom , thank you. appreciate it.