TODAY

TODAY   |  August 01, 2013

George Zimmerman stopped for speeding in Texas

Police in Forney, Tex., stopped George Zimmerman on U.S. Highway 80 for speeding Sunday, at which time he admitted to having a gun in his glove compartment, which is legal under Texas law. NBC’s Kerry Sanders reports.

Share This:

This content comes from Closed Captioning that was broadcast along with this program.

>>> meanwhile, george zimmerman is back in the news after an encounter with police in texas . kerry sanders is in forney , texas , just east of dallas.

>> reporter: it was a relatively common occurrence. george zimmerman was pulled over for speeding, but especially noteworthy, even to police, is zimmerman in his car was carrying a gun. george zimmerman was driving west on u.s. highway 80 in forney , texas , near dallas when he was pulled over for speeding.

>> it's going to be a florida suv.

>> reporter: zimmerman , who was found not guilty of second degree murder or manslaughter in the shooting death of trayvon martin, was quick to tell the officer that he had a gun in the glove compartment .

>> where are you headed this evening?

>> nowhere in particular.

>> nowhere in particular? why do you say that?

>> you didn't see my name?

>> huh?

>> you didn't see my name?

>> unh-unh.

>> reporter: the officer then looks down at zimmerman 's license again.

>> what a coincidence.

>> we, the jury, find george zimmerman not guilty.

>> reporter: just days after a florida jury found him not guilty, zimmerman was back in the news, stepping out of seclusion to help four people escape from their overturned vehicle in florida , and now this police stop last sunday. his older brother robert zimmerman tweeted on wednesday, "a heavy foot, nothing more."

>> are you clear of warrants?

>> absolutely, sir.

>> reporter: on the dash cam tape, the officer then says he's going to make a routine check.

>> and as long as you don't have any warrants, you'll be cut loose with a warning, okay? just take it easy. don't play -- go ahead and shut your glove compartment and don't play with your firearm, okay?

>> reporter: the firearm zimmerman was carrying was not the same one he used to kill trayvon martin. that gun is still being held as evidence by the fbi, but having been acquitteded, zimmerman can legally carry a firp once again. in a second tweet, robert zimmer zimmerman said, "our family receives many death threats . we all continue to take our security seriously and to ensure our safety in accordance with the law." the traffic stop lasted about five minutes.

>> all right, sir. just slow down a bit for me. you received a warning.

>> reporter: police say under texas law, because he was traveling across several counties, having a gun inside the glove box is not a problem, and because he has a concealed weapons permit in florida , texas recognizes that, and there's a reciprocal agreement. we contacted the legal team for george zimmerman . they would not say why he was in texas or if he's even still here.

>> kerry sanders in forney , texas , thank you.