TODAY

TODAY   |  July 23, 2013

Books go from shelves to big screen

Moviegoers have a lot to look forward to in the coming months: BuzzFeed reporter Ryan Broderick talks about a few of the best-selling books that are making their way to the big screen.

Share This:

This content comes from Closed Captioning that was broadcast along with this program.

>>> if you're a movie lover and book lover you have a lot to look forward to in the coming months but you might want to pick up books first, here a run down of best sellers heading to the big screen . good to see you.

>> good to see you too. it feels like every day there's a new book turned into a movie. so we wanted to put together a list on buzz feed for people to know to watch and read before it comes out.

>> so wolf of wall street .

>> if you haven't seen the trailer, it's amazing.

>> the trailer is unbelievable.

>> it's so good.

>> i don't know. i mean, time will tell. whenever they team up it's always really cool.

>> matthew.

>> he was amazing in magic mike . jonah hill . always funny.

>> how hard is it because, you know, that's always fought with danger. taking a book that people love and making it into a movie.

>> you imagine so much in your head and you get the details wrong and you get kind of angry, you know.

>> well, harry potter did it amazingly so.

>> they transferred that one really nicely.

>> yeah, next one is by veronica roth. you say it's like hunger games without the love triangle .

>> it's the new hunger games. and in fact when she was cast she called jennifer lawrence and was like what do i do. jennifer lawrence said don't be an idiot take the roll and keep your head on straight.

>> she actually said to her don't be an idiot?

>> you know, jennifer lawrence is great that way.

>> you said that to me just before we started.

>> you did. next, in fact, she is going to be in the other movie, the fault in our stars by john green .

>> that's right. so this one is very sad. it's about a 13-year-old girl, in the book, she has cancer and falls in love in a support group for teenagers with cancer.

>> it's a tear jerker.

>> if you've ever seen a walk to remember, okay, similar idea which i got pretty misty.

>> did you cry during the notebook.

>> they loved each other at the end --

>> did you cry.

>> yeah. i think we all did.

>> guilty as charged .

>> i love rachel mcadams . a great actress.

>> enders game . kind of a sci-fi thing.

>> kind of like star trek , star wars . it's an older book.

>> harrison ford is in this.

>> he's awesome.

>> and there is some controversy around the book because of the author said some things about gay marriage and there's a boycott. but he has sense said he didn't mean it. 20 years ago, 30 years ago and we'll see if it overshadows or not.

>> and the trailer is out for mortal instruments.

>> yes, so it's super natural demons versus angels in new york city but it stars nina from game of throwns who is amazing.

>> my wife read this book, gone girl, which she loved by gillian flnn. i'm finishing it now and i can't give too much away.

>> i read it. you don't see this stuff coming. unbelievable.

>> i'll have to get that.

>> ben afleck was just cast as the lead. and dana fincher who can adapt pretty much any book. girl with the dragon tattoo.

>> really looking forward to that. thank you so much. appreciate