TODAY

TODAY   |  June 27, 2013

Do we live in a post-racial society?

Star Jones, Donny Deutsch, and MSNBC’s Toure discuss some of the questions on race in America that have been inspired by the Paula Deen controversy. Toure argues that “discrimination still exists,” and Jones says, “we’re still not color-blind.”

Share This:

This content comes from Closed Captioning that was broadcast along with this program.

>> we're joined now by our panel. good morng all. good to see you.

>> good morning.

>> these events we talk about, the supreme court ruling on affirmative action , when it applies to education and admission, the supreme court ruling on the voting rights act , the trayvon martin situation, the case that's unfolding in florida with george zimmerman on trial for murder, and paula deen sitting here yesterday, try to connect it for me. give me a common narrative.

>> i think we see the importance of race still in americ the affirmative action ruling didn't knock down affirmative action but raised the bar. the voting rights act is the thing that really hurt my heart, because now it is going to be much harder for black and brown people to vote especially in the south. when you see people being taken for granted in the trayvon martin situation and the mindset that still exists when we talk about paula deen and not just using the n-word in 1986 or whatever but in 2007 , wanting to plan this southern wedding, dreaming of that. that is the thing that says this discrimination still exists and the voting rights act allows it to continue.

>> his headline is how far we have not come or at least the fact we are still grappling with this very difficult issue. same headlines for you?

>> well, my headline is we are still not color blinld. that's really what a post racial environment would look like. color blindness would require us not to grab our purse when a certain person walks by you. color blindness is not stepping to the back of the elevator when a person of a different race comes into the elevator. once we get to be color blind , then we would actually move in to that kind of environment.

>> the unemployment rate double the --

>> let the white guy talk okay?

>> that's the point.

>> i'm doing that for a reason. once we can first off say, acknowledge black and white and have fun with it and be open about it is the first step. it is very different if we were sitting with a panel of three 25-year-olds and here is the great news. young people today are color blind . i'm not saying --

>> no, that's not true.

>> let the white guy fin ir. okay?

>> that is not true.

>> it is true.

>> no it's not.

>> do you think my 10-year-old looks at that as a black person or the president? i am telling you to her --

>> what's happening down in florida in the george zimmerman trial?

>> isolated people. okay?

>> no they're not isolated.

>> you're not telling me that today's 25-year-olds do not look at race different than nine supreme court justices ?

>> are you telling me 25-year-olds understand the world as well as those of us who have been around for a while?

>> they're creating their own --

>> there are -- race still matters.

>> help me understand your 25-year-old analogy. a 25-year-old does not look at race the same way that my grandmother at 94 looks at race. however, the supreme court has just recently said regardless of the way you look at it this is the way it is.

>> you know what? i'm talking about not what nine supreme court justices talk about for the coming years but what a chunk of 300 million of this -- there is such good news coming, guys.

>> what surprised me, i think, what got my attention is in my opinion when you look at the headlines in the newspapers over this last week those same headlines could have been in newspapers my parents were reading 50 years ago.

>> and, guys, that --

>> good luck.

>> guys, thanks.