TODAY

TODAY   |  May 16, 2013

Zoe Saldana on weight reveal: I have a ‘thin frame’

Actress Zoe Saldana talks about why she chose to reveal her weight on the cover of Allure magazine, and reprising her role as communications officer Uhura in “Star Trek Into Darkness.”

Share This:

This content comes from Closed Captioning that was broadcast along with this program.

>> another trending item this morning, "allure" magazine cover featuring actress zoe saldana . the headline, 115 pounds of grit and heartache, but sparking backlash online over the mention of her weight. on its facebook page "allure" is defending the decision calling zoe a power house adding we were so impressed by what a tough, confident woman she is we wanted to capture that. and savannah's making her way over to zoe right now.

>> we have you right here, we'll ask you quick on that issue. some people are thinking that it was wrong of the magazine to say 115 pounds. do we care or not care?

>> i think it would have been wrong if they were lying about my age -- about my weight. this is how much i weigh. it's something i can't control. it's who i am. i've always been a thin frame. i was a ballet dancer . so they wanted to do that. i don't think it was to make an issue of my weight. i think it was to talk about that for a lightweight person i seem to be really strong minded.

>> i think that's what they were saying that you're full of grit. and this has interesting stuff in that article i want to talk to you about it. but first, the reason you're here, " star trek ," the new movie. we have a clip of it. let's take a look.

>> okay.

>> your boyfriend's second guessing every chance he gets. sorry, that was inappropriate. sometimes i want to rip the thi bangs off his head.

>> it's not you.

>> it's not? wait, are you guys fighting?

>> i'd rather not talk about it.

>> what is that like?

>> ears burning?

>> so we're back, what do you love about the franchise on this movie?

>> that j.j. abrams was the chosen director to revamp it. the fact that i'm going to be a part of a series now for the rest of my life. that was -- that has such a beautiful, strong and positive message of peace when it was conceived almost 50 years ago. and that it has maintained its essence. which is why it has so many fans around the world.

>> you are the communications specialist, multilingual. i've been studying, i'm prepared to do the rest of the interview fully in klingon. you learned this fake language?

>> i did. i've done it before. i played a character where i had to speak a completely alien language throughout the whole movie and speak english with that alien accent. so i don't know, it definitely prepared me for it, i guess.

>> you have a relationship with spock. and you your relationship has progressed to bickering stage. so congratulations on that.

>> yes, yes. what i liked about j.j. abrams and always capturing characters. whether it's in the future, past or present, they're still human because the argument that they are having in the spaceship could have been happening in a car.

>> let's talk about the "allure" magazine piece. it's very revealing in lots of ways. we see you and you're kind of topless, i guess, you have your arm over -- we'll show you the picture in a minute. what was your thinking behind that and was that liberating, intimidating, exciting? it's a beautiful photograph.

>> thank you. it was something i've never done publicly, you know with a magazine. it never happened where you have a creative editor approach you and ask what you want to do. and i felt so incorporated in the whole process of conceiving this concept for the story. and i had never sort of been by myself wearing my birthday uniform. and i sort of wanted to be bold and be myself. and be naked in a very symbolic way, as well, with my fans.

>> you also were very open in this about a lot of trials of your past, losing your dad at a young age, and you also talk about your sexuality very openly. you say you might end up with a woman raising my children, that's just how i am.

>> i think it's important to get out that whatever i decide to do with my sexual preference will be my prerogative and my right and as of now i've been attracted to the male species. i don't know if that will continue. but if one day i wake up and feel differently about who i find attractive, i will do that and i will be supported and loved by those that support and love me.

>> well, as always, great to talk to you.

>> thank you.

>> appreciate it. and once again, the movie " star trek " is