TODAY   |  May 21, 2012

Kate Gosselin: 'The kids are doing great’

The mother of eight chats with TODAY’s Ann Curry about how her kids have adjusted to life without cameras and the possibility of starring in another reality show. She also reveals some of her top tips for saving money even when feeding a big family.

Share This:

This content comes from Closed Captioning that was broadcast along with this program.

>>> back now at 8:18 with kate gosselin , the mother of eight, and former reality television star is trying something new these days, as a blogger for couponcabin.com. kate, good morning.

>> hi.

>> so your show sort of ended in september, so it's been awhile since we've caught up. how, how are your kids doing, how are you doing?

>> great. we're doing awesome. the kids are doing great in school. they've gone on. they really, honestly miss filming. they've recently been saying, when are we going to go here or there? we miss the crew. so we're hoping our tlc contract is over so we're hoping to move forward and do more fun projects.

>> like another reality show ?

>> yeah. fans are begging, you know. they've grown up, they've turned 8, what are you doing? so we're hoping to put that out there for them.

>> mm-hmm.

>> i'm compiling my recipes. i have eight recipe testers at home. and working on that. as well as i'm running the san diego rock 'n' roll half marathon the beginning of june.

>> so you're in training.

>> yes.

>> that's pretty exciting.

>> did my first marathon in december. so i'm doing a half coming up. and i'm blogging.

>> yes. talk about that. because, it -- what you're blogging about is really trying to help people understand how they can save money with coupons. is that right?

>> correct. there's a million ways you can save. kouben cabin, i do a weekly blog for them to tell people just, you know, maybe not so obvious ways that i save. they have a new coupon coben mobile app that's coming out this week, actually, soen your phone now you can find coupons and ways to save, as well. which is a lot easier and faster.

>> before we get to some of the tips that you have learned for this process that you can offer to moms at home, let me ask you about the babies turning 8. you had a big birthday, right, they're not babies anymore, they're 8-year-old. how was their birthday party ?

>> it was awesome. we actually did have their friends birthday party yet, that's coming up. but we did our at-home normal mom's chocolate cake regular stuff. we always have to swim on their birthday, no matter if it's 40 degrees out. and they're doing really great. everybody is excelling in school. across the board.

>> really?

>> amazing. yes.

>> that's pretty remarkable.

>> totally doing amazingly well. we've had a great school year. and they love school. and it's -- yeah, it's really fun.

>> also,th has been a development that people might be surprised about in terms of your relationship with your ex-husband, who we heard a lot about, there was a lot of difficulty, tough times.

>> mm-hmm.

>> but now, you can actually say what.

>> i can honestly say that it's more peaceful than it's ever been. i feel like a really big weight has been lifted off my shoulders shoulders. he's really been positive and more available, and it's just less stressful. i feel like he's working with me, and the kids notice it. and that's good. because i've always just wanted that peace for them. and i feel like we're finally to a point where it's happening.

>> so there's a lesson in that that with time, sometimes even the most acrimonious kind of separations someone can turn into something okay.

>> and that's good. because i can take that emotional energy that was so wasted in that area, and you know, put it back towards the kids and taking care of them. so that's good.

>> so these tips that you have that you want other people to know about that can cost -- that can save money are to do your homework in terms of prices. and, and one of the interesting things is that you went to target and you got one price. and then you went to -- to the website for target and you got a cheaper price?

>> yes.

>> so there you go. i didn't know that you could do that. cheaper online.

>> -- stand in a store and either, you know, look on coupon cabin's website and order it online, the same item i'm looking at. because it's actually cheaper that way. and it's all a game and at the end of the day if you save money, it's great. i mean you can find coupons for anything. i also reuse things. i recycle it throughout my house. for reuse. that's all savings. it's money in your pocket. i cook from scratch and pack eight lunches every single day because, if you do the math on packing eight lunches versus buying eight lunches, i'm saving so much money every week.

>> you also say teach kids the value of a dollar as you say, cook from scratch, be organized and plan ahead.

>> mm-hmm.

>> so, so, really so what you're really trying to do is if you could do it with all these kids i think the rest of us have some hope as well to save this money.

>> it's really fun to save money and know that you're stretching your dollar. so that's what i want to help people do.

>> well, good luck on the marathon.

>> thank you.

>> thank you for stopping by this morning. kate gosselin .