TODAY   |  May 07, 2012

Matthew Morrison on ‘Expecting’ with Cameron Diaz

“Glee” star Matthew Morrison chats with TODAY’s Kathie Lee Gifford and Hoda Kotb about his big-screen role in the film adaptation of the pregnancy bible “What to Expect When You’re Expecting.”

Share This:

This content comes from Closed Captioning that was broadcast along with this program.

>>> inspired by the best selling pregnancy guide "what to expect when you're expecting," the book is now a big-screen comedy about five very different couples whose lives are turned upside down by the challenges of having a baby. what's the problem?

>> matthew morrison plays he have been, a professional dancer on a tv reality show who -- surprise -- got his dancing partner played by cameron diaz pregnant. even though they're in a relationship, there's a lot these two do not agree on.

>> wow.

>> oh, no, no, no. i don't want to know about everything that can go wrong.

>> oh, my god. there's breastfeeding. we have to know about this. and -- what? oh. circumcision, yes or no.

>> of course! how is that even a question.

>> actually, a lot of couples are choosing not to circumcise these days.

>> who said that?

>> the expert, honey. see, it is a question because it says yes or no.

>> my answer is yes.

>> whoa.

>> if you can't get over a little brisk situation, you're not --

>> oh, come on, get the clamps an snip it.

>> this is an interesting film. it has five i think different vignettes. you and cameron diaz worked together but you really weren't familiar with what the others were up to?

>> we had a big press junket the past couple days. actually some of the crew from some of my broadway shows work here.

>> they love you. sglt cast is incredible though on this.

>> tell us about making the movie though.

>> oh, gosh. anna kendrik, jennifer lopez --

>> there was an international cast.

>> yes, it is.

>> what interested you about this?

>> they said you're going to play opposite cameron diaz . i'm like okay, sounds good.

>> they also said you are going to dance. isn't there a big dance scene? cameron's trained and have you a big background in dance.

>> i'm a big dancer. what happened was i learn to dance in los angeles and she learned it in atlanta. then we had about four hours of actually learning it together in atlanta and then we had two days. that's actually an old abandoned home depot --

>> are you kidding?

>> i heard it was magic and i think it was. yeah. okay.

>> there seemed to be some on-screen chemistry going on there.

>> well, they made a baby. at least five or six minutes there was.

>> come on. that's all you're going to give me? five or six minutes?

>> i don't know. i hear things.

>> no. we had a great time. because we started this movie actually learning to dance together. i think there was something about when you have a great body language when you learn like dance, it's so sensual, it kind of created the chemistry we had for the rest of the movie.

>> a lot of people look at you an know you from "glee," but you had quite the career on broadway before any of that.

>> if you say so.

>> no, you did. what is it going to take to bring you back to broadway .

>> i just want to come whack to broadway to see all these amazing shows. i'm so behind.

>> but you don't have time at this point. "glee" is still going strong .

>> i still have my apartment here because with the thought that i would be back a lot but i just haven't had time to come back here.

>> i'm sure you can't tell us what's going on with "glee."

>> well, there's three episodes left. it is a very -- we cried a lot on the set. it's been very sad because it is kind of the end of an era for a lot of the kids.

>> there is a little time for them to graduate. they're all 35!

>> what? i don't know what you're talking about.

>> it's time to move on into the real world , don't you think?

>> isn't that always the case though with high school shows? we're all 35.

>> exactly. we wish you good luck with this film.

>> you have a new cd coming out, i heard, about broadway standards. when you bring that out, please come see us. great to see you.